New guy question... boat weight, tow capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glock Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I'm looking to purchase my first boat, something in the 21'-23' range, outboard center console. Have thought about walk arounds, but it seems with used boats, the cuddy cabin is in rough shape. Would like to be able to fish, dive, or cruise around with it. So a CC seems best-suited.

My question- as I'm looking at the NADA guides, the dry weight of the boat is given. Does that include the weight of the motor?

For example, I'm looking at a 1993 Sea Ray Laguna 24' center console, with twin 135hp Mercs, which the www.nadaguides.com website lists at 3800 lbs net weight. ($11,000 asking). Am I to assume that the 3800 lbs is the hull only? Or including the motors?

The reason this is important... my tow vehicle has a GCWR of 11,600 lbs, and it weighs exactly 5020 lbs with a full tank of gas and my fat butt behind the wheel... leaving me 6580 lbs for cargo, add'l passengers, and trailer. (the trailer capacity is listed at 6980 lbs, but I can't tow that much with passengers). Figuring I could have 3 other passengers at 500 lbs total, and maybe 200 lbs of gear, that 6580 is reduced to 5880 lbs of boat, fuel, and trailer.
I'm also figuring:
100 gals fuel = 600 lbs
boat trailer = 900 lbs approx

Thanks in advance, guys!

Last edited:
Just buy a new truck with a 10k tow rating and stop worrying.

If you are talking outboard motors, the weight probably just the boat. If they are inboards, they should be included with the weight.

ps, I like your board-handle. Carry a Glock 21 myself.

Just buy a new truck with a 10k tow rating and stop worrying.....

ps, I like your board-handle. Carry a Glock 21 myself.

In a perfect world, yes that's what I'd do. But, I have no funds to purchase a truck and a boat right now-- it's one or the other. So I'll be using what I've got.

And Thanks, I'm a fan of the Glocks... I have a few in the collection, and I used to have a 21 before I traded it in for an H&K USP.

So, I'm looking to purchase my first boat, something in the 21'-23' range, outboard center console. Have thought about walk arounds, but it seems with used boats, the cuddy cabin is in rough shape. Would like to be able to fish, dive, or cruise around with it. So a CC seems best-suited.

My question- as I'm looking at the NADA guides, the dry weight of the boat is given. Does that include the weight of the motor?

For example, I'm looking at a 1993 Sea Ray Laguna 24' center console, with twin 135hp Mercs, which the www.nadaguides.com website lists at 3800 lbs net weight. ($11,000 asking). Am I to assume that the 3800 lbs is the hull only? Or including the motors?

The reason this is important... my tow vehicle has a GCWR of 11,600 lbs, and it weighs exactly 5020 lbs with a full tank of gas and my fat butt behind the wheel... leaving me 6580 lbs for cargo, add'l passengers, and trailer. (the trailer capacity is listed at 6980 lbs, but I can't tow that much with passengers). Figuring I could have 3 other passengers at 500 lbs total, and maybe 200 lbs of gear, that 6580 is reduced to 5880 lbs of boat, fuel, and trailer.
I'm also figuring:
100 gals fuel = 600 lbs
boat trailer = 900 lbs approx

Thanks in advance, guys!

I have a new(er) Tacoma TRD OR and tow a 19 foot BW easily, 2,100 pound hull dry. I think, IMO, the truck would tow a 24 footer local but not over road, just to much for it. They are a spunky little truck but even with the 6,500 pound tow rating there is the aerodynamic drag and rolling friction and the mass of a 24 foot boat with fuel and equipment and twin outboards on a relatively small midsized vehicle. If it is a full size vehicle you have you are better off even with similar ratings.

N

Last edited:
cant help you but your using the right figure to go by .. the GCVW rating

Chevrolet Towing says the if your under the GCVW rating then you can safely tow, start, stop, and maintain speed on highways

Dry weight of the boat listed by the manuf is without outboard engines.

I have a Dakota with a 4.7 V8 and towing package (proper low gear, I'm stupid cooler, etc.) and the manual says my max towing is 6100 lbs. I tow a 24' cuddy with a 225 OB that weighs around 6000 and it's not pretty. To and from the local bay is fine but it's pretty tough for any type of distance. It's a lot of boat staring at me through the rear view mirror.

JFYI, the Trailer Boats mid size truck shootout, Tacoma vs Frontier vs Dakota V8 blah, blah, the Tacoma came out on tops for virtually every category, acceleration, braking etc. Mid sized trucks/SUVs will pull the boat but frankly as I think we all agree, that is a lot of weight pushing these midsized vehicles around. Our Tacoma's tow capacity is up to 6,500 pounds, not to exceed other relevant limitations. Fuel economy goes to h-e---- as well.

We had a gomer pulled out in front of us cutting across the median, I had to get on the brakes hard, the VSC came in hard and even though the boat tried to push the Taco around the VSC stopped me straight. If it had been a bigger boat, a 24 footer, your guess is as good as mine, I think it would have gotten away from me. It is that stopping part that can get exciting not to mention hills and mountains. I like the VSC.

N

Last edited:
Anything under the 26' range should be no problem to pull with the weight you have listed. I'm not sure what you are going to be pulling the boat with but I have a 31' Contender with twin 300's and my Chevy Z71 pulls it without much of an issue. Fully loaded ready to fish I am about 10,000 lbs.

Never mind, brain cloud. N

Back
Top Bottom