New Housing for Olympus 3040???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello fellow wet ones...

Love my PT-10 housing, but frustrated at having to leave it behind on many wreck dives or other deep descents. Seems I caught a drift of a conversation somewhere about a new Olympus Japan housing in the PT family (and price range!) capable of greater than 90 ft depths for my 3040. Ikelites and Tetras are beyond my budget.
Is there such a beast?

Thanks as always.

Best,

Hmmm, Olympus is releasing several new housings that are rated to 40m but I have not seen one that would fit the C3040/c4000 series. Many people have taken the PT-010 deeper than the 30m with no problems abide some groaning noise from the housing:)
An average new Oly housing would be around $200. Consider Ikelite housing comes with tray/handle already, where as you would have to spend another $100 on the Oly housing, the Ikelite housing is not actually that much much more expensive (but I guess it is relative).
Also, the PT-010 is rated to 30m which is 100ft, if you plan to dive to 110-120ft, in most cases the PT-010 would be fine but if you plan to do 140-150ft dive, I might be a bit more worry!

It is my understanding the PT-010 is no longer in production. I seriously doubt Olympus would make a replacement housing for it that would go deeper. They are not making the 2000 and 3000 series cameras any longer so there would be no logical reason to make another housing for them. Oly still markets the C4000 as a lower end camera as respects features compared to the 4040, which is also no longer made. Anyone buying a C4000 now better hurry and get a PT-010 while they can. I just ordered an extra one for myself off eBay direct from Japan for $179.00 + shipping.
My opinion is not to spend money on an Ikelite or similarly expensive housing for your 3040 but instead live with the limits of your PT-010. If you go to an Oly 5050 or 5060 or beyond that down the road, it won't fit in the Ikelite 3040 housing as the cameras are different. The 2000 thru 4000 series Oly cameras all fit in the PT-010. The 5050 was redesigned and therefore required a new housing design.

Back
Top Bottom