New instructor here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ducky diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi my name is Nathan Smith. I'm a padi open water instructor with 7 specialties. I'm from California but currently living in moalboal, Philippines. I've been diving for 9 years and have 120+ logged dives and many that never made it down on paper.
If anyone could point me in the direction a job board that would be greatly appreciated, and if you're feeling really nice maybe look over my resume (message me for it) and give me tips on how to stand out more from the rest of the crowd.
Please and thank you.

Oh Joy !

120 dives in 9 Years and now an INSTRUCTOR !

Pease do not return to California remain some where in the far east.

Samuel Miller, 111
As I said I have more dives than that. Those are the ones I logged untill about a year ago I wasn't keeping and accurate log because I was a teenager and didn't plan to go professional. Thank you for your input but I think I'll disregard you as a troll who has nothing better to do than be sarcastic rather than actually have constructive criticism.

Hi my name is Nathan Smith. I'm a padi open water instructor with 7 specialties. I'm from California but currently living in moalboal, Philippines. I've been diving for 9 years and have 120+ logged dives and many that never made it down on paper.
If anyone could point me in the direction a job board that would be greatly appreciated, and if you're feeling really nice maybe look over my resume (message me for it) and give me tips on how to stand out more from the rest of the crowd.
Please and thank you.
Congratulations on the IDC/IE, now the real work starts...

I take it you know of PADI's Job site, there is also a forum on here you should join for some good tips on becoming a better instructor : https://www.scubaboard.com/community/forums/padi-pros.1004/

This forum may be useful as well: Employment

Lastly, I know that tone is very hard to discern in text, but your thread title may come across as very arrogant ("Really? I have been waiting for a 120 dive, brand new PADI instructor? I never realised...")

That won't do you any favours on this Board or in the general marketplace either. I assume you didn't mean it that way, but a little humility goes a looooong way in this industry.

Best of luck with all your endeavours, post lots and dive more.

Best regards
Brendon

Sonny boy I have spit more H20 in my mask than you have or will ever dive in !

120 Dives ! An Instructor !

What organization certified you ? Disneyland ?

SDM
Hey Sam.

Most all agencies these days have a 100 dive requirement for instructor, relative merits of that aside, if someone wants to go the instructor route as soon as possible then that's what they will have...

@Ducky diver , you would be MUCH better served by trying to use Dr Sam as a resource not become adversarial. He doesn't know you so his comments can't be personally aimed, they are indicative of his sentiments regarding a lowering of requirements across the board in diving over the DECADES that he has been diving. Please take note of the title under his name, that is not self-appointed.

Sam, if I am putting words in your mouth please correct me.

Congratulations on the IDC/IE, now the real work starts...

I take it you know of PADI's Job site, there is also a forum on here you should join for some good tips on becoming a better instructor : https://www.scubaboard.com/community/forums/padi-pros.1004/

This forum may be useful as well: Employment

Lastly, I know that tone is very hard to discern in text, but your thread title may come across as very arrogant ("Really? I have been waiting for a 120 dive, brand new PADI instructor? I never realised...")

That won't do you any favours on this Board or in the general marketplace either. I assume you didn't mean it that way, but a little humility goes a looooong way in this industry.

Best of luck with all your endeavours, post lots and dive more.

Best regards
Brendon
I know 120 isn't a lot for a professional diver I didn't mean to sound arrogant and thank you for the advice. I'll definitely look at the forum on tips for being a better instructor. Thank you again for the advice

to further explain, many of us, myself included, had well over a thousand dives before we became instructors. It's just too easy to become an instructor and many of these zero to hero wonders just don't have the skills or acumen to be effective instructors. There was a lot of mentoring before you took that step which meant a lot more dives. So please, don't take it personally when a dive legend such as Sam chides you for bragging about your 120+ dives. Just think about all you can learn from those with a lot more experience than you have and be sure to join the Instructor's group so you can get into our Instructor to Instructor forum where we talk about our students behind their backs. :D

to further explain, many of us, myself included, had well over a thousand dives before we became instructors. It's just too easy to become an instructor and many of these zero to hero wonders just don't have the skills or acumen to be effective instructors. There was a lot of mentoring before you took that step which meant a lot more dives. So please, don't take it personally when a dive legend such as Sam chides you for bragging about your 120+ dives. Just think about all you can learn from those with a lot more experience than you have and be sure to join the Instructor's group so you can get into our Instructor to Instructor forum where we talk about our students behind their backs. :D
I wasn't trying to brag, I can see how it could have came off like that. I put that there more to show my experience level so you guys could have a understand of where I'm at and give better advice. I came to this board looking for advice and to learn from those who have more experience. I'll be sure to join the instructor's group. Thank you for your input as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom