• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New kid in town

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by Scuba Leon, Nov 14, 2004.

Can I be trained to be a DM in 6 months?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Scuba Leon

Scuba Leon Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Greetings all,

I'm a new kid in town here and would like to introduce myself: well, here I am!
    I'm diving since 2001 and made 10 dives since. Not that much, but I didn't find the time nor money :wink: to do it. But, from december onwards I will be working in the Dom. Rep. in a diveschool to get my DM. I know that some of you disagree with this type of education, but I think that if you are busy with diving full time for a half year you're sure to get good skills.

That's it for now! You can find me posting in other threads. See you there!

2. Fly N Dive

Fly N Dive Contributor

hey welcome to sb, although you might be able to get your dm in 6 months. i think it would be a very unwise choice. i plan on getting my dm and them instuctor at some point, but right now i know that i dont have the skills required. and i dont think that one can get those skills in 6 months.

3. Matt the Aquaman

Matt the Aquaman Contributor

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Hi there Scuba Leon,
    Welcome to Scuba Board - the greatest online place, the fastest growing, and the nicest! You can meet a lot of helpful people here and itÂ’s an awesome place to get answers about scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and safe diving from Matt. :thumb:

Click here to greet a new member!
    :happywave
    No experience needed and it feels great!

4. Diver0001

Diver0001 Instructor, Scuba

You can't let your schedule drive when you're ready.

By all means, take the job in the Dominican Republic and work toward your goal but if I can impart any kind of wisdom on you then keep in mind every day that how you walk the path is more important than getting there on time.

I suppose in 6 months you might be able to get the papers if your instructor isn't too picky but with this tempo you stand an excellent chance of qualifying yourself for little more than a game of "blind leading the blind". I guess the most important thing for you to consider is how you feel about that.

R..

5. Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a Contributor

Howdy and welcome to scubaboard. :)

As far as your question, I too am new to diving, and I can't imagine any way that I could be ready to guide divers or teach divers within 6 months.

Think about what you value in a dive guide or instructor. In my case, and I think in most cases, that's experience. Meaning, they have been diving a long time, not that they packed a bunch into the past 6 months. An you can only get experience the hard way (though really, it's the fun part) :)

Plus, a caveat. Often, the best way to make a hobby not fun is to do it professionally. :wink: I'd say, dive, have fun, get a bunch of dives under your belt, and work toward your goal all the while diving a lot and having a blast.

Just MHO :) Welcome to the board!

6. CON8IV

CON8IV Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hey Leon!
    Ok, so you'll work for a shop for six months, right? Say, 2 dives a day, five days a week? That means you'll have completed about 240 dives in 6 months, right? That my friend IS experience. 240 dives is, in my opinion, pretty good. I wish I could do that many in 6 months. Remember, you'll be a Dive Master, not a SCUBA god, so I say go for it. And while your there, stop down at Carribean Divers in Boca Chica and say Hello to Markus for me.

7. mempilot

mempilot Rebreather Pilot

Becoming a DM relies on two things: skill and experience. The skills can be mastered depending on your ability to learn, retain, and produce. The experience side of the equation comes from diving, diving, diving. If you have the means, the time, and the desire, you can log more dives in 6 mos than most people log in a lifetime. That being said, I'd vary your location many times in that 6 mos to gain experience in a diverse set of environments and conditions.

Diving a few times a week, no. Diving a few times a day, yes.

8. Kayla

Kayla Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Hi there and welcome to ScubaBoard!! I'm so happy that you decided to join us here!!

There is lots of information that you can find.. and make sure to check out the club that fits your area!

If you need help with anything while you're figuring out where things are around here, send me a PM! (Private Message.. click my user name, and it should give you the option of sending me one!)

Otherwise, I hope to get to know you better around the boards! Have fun, and Happy, Safe diving!!

~Kayla :dazzler1:

9. Diver0001

Diver0001 Instructor, Scuba

I hope he gets so lucky. Working in a diveshop can also mean long hours and little free time.....

Leon, just a comment about the number of dives. Do yourself a favor and make a lot of different kinds of dives in a lot of different locations. 240 dives might sound like a lot but if they're all on the same coral-head or all "tagging along" with classes then you'll have a hard time getting the experience you need. This comes back to my point about the approach being the most important thing. The numbers are irrelevant. Experience is what you need. Don't just dive a lot. Make it meaningful.

R..

10. SubMariner

SubMariner C'est Moi ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.