New MAKO Fin Now Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Krause

Contributor
Reaction score
San Leandro, California (just south of Oakland)
*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***

AERIS ANNOUNCES MAKO FIN
HIGHLY ANTICIPATED NEW PRODUCT NOW AVAILABLE

San Leandro, CA July 10, 2006 – The MAKO Fin is a precision blend of ergonomics, hydrodynamics and materials technology created for ultimate comfort, efficiency and performance. The MAKO blade's flexible center area creates a massive water channel by utilizing the entire surface area of the blade and foot pocket. The engineered channels and side rails direct water flow off the tips of the fin without allowing water to "spill" from the sides of the blade for uncompromising power and efficiency.

AERIS dealers around the world have been anxiously awaiting the launch of the new MAKO Fin. Earlier this year, AERIS sent a pair of pre-production samples to key Authorized Dealers in the USA. According to AERIS Marketing Manager Doug Krause, “We do not normally just send each of our customers new products, because in many cases not every product makes sense for every dealer. In this case we took a different approach because we knew the MAKO had the features, performance, styling, and pricing that our dealers have been asking for – and wanted them to see them first hand.”

KEY FEATURES INCLUDE:
· The larger size and the shape of the blade, along with the power channels and high performance vents, create a top-performing paddle fin.

· While they feature an oversized blade, the MAKO is lighter-weight than any comparable open-heel fin on the market. The high efficiency, maneuverability and lighter-weight make the MAKO a great fin for everyone’s needs.

· The foot pockets are sized to accommodate dry suit boots and boots with more pronounced soles, as well as standard molded sole boots.

· Available in three sizes, in three vibrant colors.

The MAKO Fin has an MSRP of US$89.95 and is available from AERIS’ network of Authorized Dealers throughout the world. More information may be found at: www.diveaeris.com/p_fins_mako.html

ABOUT AERIS
AERIS offers a complete range of innovative and feature-rich SCUBA diving and snorkeling equipment. Our goals today are the same as the day we opened for business; to raise the standard of products sold in the diving industry. Each one of our products represents an improvement in performance, aesthetics, function, and value. Try one for yourself; we're confident you'll agree.

For more information visit: www.DiveAeris.com

####

I have these fins and love them. Absolutely no complaints.

I have some questions; for example, the size chart. What do the size designations refer to? Is size "regular", 10-12 an actual foot size or is it the size which will fit a 10-12 foot with heavy boot. The literature says that these fins are sized to fit "dry suits". Does that mean, as with Apollo Biofin and Mares Quattro, that obtaining the right sized fin is a crap shoot which involves extrapolation of various factors such as boot thickness and foot size? Or, as with some fins, is a 10-12 simply the right size to fit bare feet in that size range? What once was called a "regular" Quattro would probably fit Krusty the Clown so "regular" is a red flag for me.

Pictures of the toe pocket look similar to the now defunct Oceanic Vector FF fin. The toe pocket on that fin was a Chinese thumb sock. Same with the Mako or is the toe pocket opening larger and less restrictive?

TIA

What is the purpose of the holes? Are these an attempt to establish a "marque" similar to the Audi rings and Mercedes star or do they serve some purpose?

pescador775:
I have some questions; for example, the size chart. What do the size designations refer to? Is size "regular", 10-12 an actual foot size or is it the size which will fit a 10-12 foot with heavy boot. The literature says that these fins are sized to fit "dry suits". Does that mean, as with Apollo Biofin and Mares Quattro, that obtaining the right sized fin is a crap shoot which involves extrapolation of various factors such as boot thickness and foot size? Or, as with some fins, is a 10-12 simply the right size to fit bare feet in that size range? What once was called a "regular" Quattro would probably fit Krusty the Clown so "regular" is a red flag for me.

Pictures of the toe pocket look similar to the now defunct Oceanic Vector FF fin. The toe pocket on that fin was a Chinese thumb sock. Same with the Mako or is the toe pocket opening larger and less restrictive?

TIA

Sizing will depend on the boot that you're wearing. I wear a size 11 shoe - the REG Mako fits perfectly with a standard molded sole. If I'm wearing a heavy duty boot or my drysuit, I wear the XL.

As for the open toe, (love your Chines thumb sock reference by the way) - I haven't experienced or heard any negative comments from the field evaluation.

Doug--

What is the overall length of the Regular? Thinking about packing, as always.

Doug and I are doing the sales meeting stuff this week, I'll get back to you on this, it is pretyy much in the standard range for length but I don't have exacts.

I measured it using gridwall, just at 2 feet. This is not exact given no tape measure handy.

Best,

Chris

The holes are used to increase flow over the blade and increase lateral stability. We do have some newer items styled after it though (Orca mask, etc.) It serves as performance enhancing and styling but not really a marque.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom