New Mares Instinct 12s making strange sounds at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyrosDives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I have bought two new Mares Instinct 12s first and second stages for my girlfriend and myself and took them up for a couple of dives. At a depth of between 20 and 30 meters, they were *both* making the same noise that you sometimes get when you inhale from a regulator that is dry. It was so loud that multiple people in our dive party could hear them. The water temperature was 27 Celcius at the surface and 24 at depth, so nothing out of the ordinary and tank pressure must have been around 140 bar. Upon ascent, at less than 20 meters, everything worked fine.

These are the first regulators we own, so I was wondering whether anybody has experience with this? Is this normal for new regulators?

We are going on a liveaboard in egypt in a couple of weeks, and I want to make sure that the equipment is in order.

Guys, to be honest, I am getting increasingly frustrated with Mares:
- I just realised that the purge button of one of the regulators is broken, after 2 dives! After some research, I saw that this is common. So, selling a product that is clearly not fit for purpose is apparently OK for Mares...
- I have posted the problem above (unrelated to the broken purge button) here and to the Authorized Dealer. Since they did not respond, I called them and they said that they did not receive my message (I can see my message in their system and I don't appreciate the "dog ate my homework" excuse). Now, I got back a great reply: "Regarding your question, if you think the product is not working properly we can send it to the manufacturer. In that chase, it is going to take a few weeks for the item to undergo the warranty process. Please tell us what works best for you,". No response when I asked them for an actual reply to my question.

-1 for quality assurance
-1 for build quality
-2 for customer service

Back
Top Bottom