New member - an American living in Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCope3

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I'm new to diving this year and have already built quite a passion for it. I've always been passionate about water sports (I was a whitewater rafting guide/trip leader and whitewater kayaker in Tennessee for 10 years before moving to Italy). Now that I'm no longer conveniently close to whitewater, I've taken up scuba diving - something I've always wanted to do. Living near Milan (I've been here since late 2015), not being close to the sea, I can't dive as much as I would like to go, but I see that changing in the future, whether by changing location or just going to Genoa as often as I can for now just to get some dives in. In the meantime, I'm trying to gain experience and knowledge as much as I can. I've already googled some questions and found some good discussions going on with this website, so I decided to join.

I'm the kind of person that really wants to become an expert at what I do and what I enjoy, and that includes all of the tiny details and pursuing/reaching the highest certifications that I can reach - while taking my time and making sure that I gain more than enough experience and I feel comfortable with the skills required for the next certification BEFORE trying, rather than just trying to build certifications without feeling natural and comfortable at that level underwater in a practical sense.

That said, the ultimate goal is a professional pursuit in scuba diving, for a lot of different reasons. I don't know where that road will lead just yet, hence me just trying to gain experience and knowledge as much as possible. I would eventually, over the course of some years I'm sure, like to be certified in technical diving, even if I never end up tech diving as a job. The idea of the complexity, the need for strict attention to detail and ability to adapt to changing situations, the research, planning, and knowledge required - plus the ability to go very, very deep to see some unique things you'd never see as a rec diver, along with the inherent risks to do so - all of those things are VERY attractive to me.

I've gone on long enough for now. I hope to talk to some of you via the forums, and I'm looking forward to a fun, exciting, and fulfilling future underwater.

Joe

howdy and welcome from southeast florida usa...one thing about scuba diving is that there are many options...good luck with your endeavors.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. A great place to be during surface intervals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom