New Member-Joe's Rock Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buminbeer2

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Scott. I have been at Joe's since they opened this year and 15 dives in 7 weeks is not bad. If you have any questions about the quarry, just ask. If you need a Dive Buddy, I'm usually there Sundays(much less crowded) or camp out Saturday Night with a small group(or girlfriend). There is a Pig Roast coming up on August 14th. See http://www.newhorizonsdiving.com/ . They have current conditions and map info, ask me about any rules(they seem pretty strict on no one under 18! unless they are in a class. I don't have kids, so you'd need to talk to Joe. For the non-diving spouse or better half, they can float(bring your own). There supposedly is no swimming, I have never seen a problem in the shallows or snorkling. Joe is good people, but can be a little intimidating until he gets to know you. He's just had trouble in the past by rule breakers, fishing his large Bluegill and Bass out, etc. Many items sunken in the quarry and a buried treasure chest. My dive buddy and I found the 1st one, 40 $1 coins in it, 3# of silver. The 2nd one has 100 $1 gold coins in it. This has not been found as of 7/18 at closing time. Next chest will have $125 in it. Fun place. Now if you can help me, is there anywhere else in Central KY with a place to dive? I know that Tucker Station years ago in Louisville had an Aquatic club off Tucker Station road that I dove in, anyone know? Can't find anything on the web about it. Looking for at least 7-10' visability if you can help.
Thank you and look forward to meeting other divers, Scott.

Welcome,

As for Central KY Joe's is about it. You can head west and there are some more quarries out that way. Or you can head down to TN and there are several down that way. There are also some up in OH.

We try to go as a group to Joe's pretty often but we have been slow this year. Post your trips on here and see who comes. We have had great luck with meeting each other and doing group outings throught the KPP.

I am hoping to be able to plan some outing for the board later in the year and I might even try to put together our Annual Pumpkin dive, but, I will have to see how things work out here to see if I have time this year to plan it.

I hope to meet you at Joe's soon.

Chad

I've been going to Joe's every other weekend but that will probably cease for a while. I probably wont go back until the evenings cool off because we always camp.

I or someone usually makes a post when we are heading up that way.

I forgot to say that there is nothing to stop you all for putting together group outings for the KPP. I am sort of out of the loop for a while but if someone is going to be there post it here and see how many folk from the board can come. We always have had fun when we have done that in the past.

Chad

Where is Joe's? I live in Indiana, down I-64 about 50 miles West of Louisville. I usually make the 3 hour trip to Cerulean or Hopkinsville (they are both great spots down near Lake Barkley).

Never heard of Joe's

Thanks..Sonny

Joe's in in LaGrange KY about 30 miles out of Louisville off of 71. Much closer. :D

It doesn't have fills though, unless someone bring a compressor and is willing to do fills for you and there is no running water....but it is closer. :D

Chad

Who do you contact? What is entrance fee? What about depth and vis?

The official name is Falling Rock Diver's Park. It was Joe Clark's Quarry before it was flooded and turned into a diving spot so it generally called Joe's. You don't have to contact anyone. It is open on Sat and Sun. from May until Oct and the entrance fee last year was $15. I haven't been this year but I assume it is the same or it would have been posted on here.

The vis varies from 30 fee to 10 fee depending on the weather and how many students are there but it is usually closure to 10 to be honest. There are some sunken boats, tubes, statues, gargoles, and a police car to see. The depth is up to about 45 feet.

To get there you get off of 71 and go through LaGrange after you cross the railroad tracks you take a left. You then turn right on Fourth Street and go 3-4 miles (this road is pretty curvy so take it slow) Joe's is on the right but if you arn't looking for it you will miss it. :D

Chad

I am going to try to make it out one day next weekend if I possible can but I really don't know for sure right now.

Chad

I wish I could be there but I'm on the schedule at work for 53 hours and my days off are during the week.

Once the Mackinac trip is over it looks like my diving days are done until sometime next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom