New member seeks info on Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

November is normally not a great time to be in the Osa, as it can get torrential rains at this time of year. Last year they got 20 ft of rain in November! This year has been much dryer. The good weather there is usually mid Dec-mid May.

Sorry, took some time to find out about my purpose. Finally nobody could confirm Hammer-Heads at Canos Island. But still Manta-Rays (certainly during the next few months, as at the Catalinas) and occasional Bull-Sharks (apparently not as common as at the Bat's).
So finally, no rockets launched towards Costa Rica!

I spent a week at Jinetes de Osa, a lovely, small (9 room) eco-lodge with an attached dive shop. It was a great value for the bucks - plenty of activities for the non-diver as well as terrific diving, great service and friendly staff. The lodge's bar is located along a footpath between other resorts so there are plenty of visiting locals and neighboring guests to guarantee lively conversation. Don't miss the treetop zip-line adventure, the night-vision bug tour, horseback riding through the rain forest and hiking at Corcovado National Park. The diving was more volcanic than coral, a fittingly stark backdrop for the plentiful white-tipped reef sharks, rays and turtles that abound.

Now, can you find me an equivalent, affordable all-purpose, one-stop eco-dive trip in Belize?

Thanks - newbie poster Laurie

divekraz:
We stayed at the Ocotal Beach Resort www.ocotaldiving.com , We had a place on the hill, vaulted ceiling, private pool, over looked the bay, very nice. The dive operation was great, they took care of all the gear, cleaned it and stored after each dive. Would go out with them again. I would check out these other sites as possible side trips. We actually flew into the coast, stayed in Ocotal for 4 nights then stayed 3 nights at these other 2 places. Each place was better than the last one. www.arenal.net/tabacon/ and the best was www.waterfallgardens.com/lapaz-peacelodge.htm

I have to agree. I stayed there with my wife and some friends in Febuary and had a great time. The dive staff is superb. We never had to touch our gear. They only take a max of 10 people on a boat so space is not an issue. We only had 10 divers for one dive and the rest of the time there were only about 6 divers. Their DMs are excellent and the diversity of underwater creatures was great. The rooms were clean and had great views. You will not be disapointed. We are planning a return in the summer of '07 or '08.

Back
Top Bottom