Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome!!

Just got word that our first regs (Deep 6) have shipped, oh happy day! Also new BC's shipped. This is for me and my wife. We still consider ourselves newbies (100 dives each) and have been using rental gear thus far. We have been vacation diving for the last 4 years. We started with a discovery dive on our 2014 vacation (I had done two of these 5 years prior), and then during that week decided to continue diving and got our OW certs. Every summer we have gone back for one or two weeks diving. Before the 2nd trip we bought masks, fins, snorkels, rash guards. 3rd year my wife bought her own shorty wet suit, I still dive with a rash and shorts.

This year she will be there for a month with the kids and I'll join for the last week. We also have a trip to Bali planned later this year for just the two of us. We have a strong trust with the dive op that we have used every single time. They have OW certified 4 out of our 5 kids and they take care of their equipment. But it was time, and in Bali I have no idea about their gear! So we will have our own regs, our own BC's now, and some time to test and get used to them with our regular dive op. If we had been diving with different dive ops during the last few years, I would have bought them sooner.

I would recommend getting more dive time than spending $$$ on gear.

Have fun and just concentrate on enjoying yourself and the learning will come easy. Most companies make good regs these days. I own a set of zeagle flathead 7 regs that I like but down the road I prob buy apek or posiden. But nothing wrong with any of the brands mentioned above. Happy diving and good luck.
Thank You yeah Im trying to keep everything within my budget but will definitely be looking at those as well thanks again

Welcome!!

Just got word that our first regs (Deep 6) have shipped, oh happy day! Also new BC's shipped. This is for me and my wife. We still consider ourselves newbies (100 dives each) and have been using rental gear thus far. We have been vacation diving for the last 4 years. We started with a discovery dive on our 2014 vacation (I had done two of these 5 years prior), and then during that week decided to continue diving and got our OW certs. Every summer we have gone back for one or two weeks diving. Before the 2nd trip we bought masks, fins, snorkels, rash guards. 3rd year my wife bought her own shorty wet suit, I still dive with a rash and shorts.

This year she will be there for a month with the kids and I'll join for the last week. We also have a trip to Bali planned later this year for just the two of us. We have a strong trust with the dive op that we have used every single time. They have OW certified 4 out of our 5 kids and they take care of their equipment. But it was time, and in Bali I have no idea about their gear! So we will have our own regs, our own BC's now, and some time to test and get used to them with our regular dive op. If we had been diving with different dive ops during the last few years, I would have bought them sooner.

I would recommend getting more dive time than spending $$$ on gear.
Good point Sir Thank You and safe trip to Bali

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...keep us informed of your progress with your open water course...good luck.and be safe.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...keep us informed of your progress with your open water course...good luck.and be safe.
Thank You will do I’ll nail it next month

Agree with others about getting gear too soon. Other than my mask (prescription), fins, and snorkel, my first major purchase was a simple-to-use underwater camera. Renting gear, which is really a pretty minimal add on cost to diving, and included in the cost of diving some places, gives you a chance to try out new stuff as opposed to researching gear that you can't try out. You can determine features you may want/don't want by using rental gear for awhile. When I finally bought a reg, I honestly didn't pay much attention to brands/models I'd rented so I read all of the reviews and info from several sources. I pretty much knew most of my diving would be in warmer water and I wanted lightweight gear. I wound up with a travel bc/reg from Aqualung which I never tried, but have been using for 9 years now. Don't think you can go wrong with a good brand. Good luck on your certification.

Agree with others about getting gear too soon. Other than my mask (prescription), fins, and snorkel, my first major purchase was a simple-to-use underwater camera. Renting gear, which is really a pretty minimal add on cost to diving, and included in the cost of diving some places, gives you a chance to try out new stuff as opposed to researching gear that you can't try out. You can determine features you may want/don't want by using rental gear for awhile. When I finally bought a reg, I honestly didn't pay much attention to brands/models I'd rented so I read all of the reviews and info from several sources. I pretty much knew most of my diving would be in warmer water and I wanted lightweight gear. I wound up with a travel bc/reg from Aqualung which I never tried, but have been using for 9 years now. Don't think you can go wrong with a good brand. Good luck on your certification.
Thank You for the advice I’m not in a rush anyways because of budget concerns but definitely taking all the good points you guys are giving me and thankful for that. Just excited in getting certified next month

If you plan to learn how to do your own regulator service it doesn't matter so much what brand you buy.

I would say it does matter, as many brands will not sell you service kits unless you are a certified tech working at an authorized dealer. I think we stand apart in that regard since we are willing to help support self service.

Hello All, thank you for the opportunity, I am still to get my OW Cert this July, If anybody can give me a suggestion for what set to get for regulators...preferably a good quality ease of maintenance availability of spare parts appreciate any advice you guys can give me and looking forward to begin my lifelong dream thank y'all and have a nice day...

Welcome! This is one of the most enjoyable activities I can think of. :)

I will say the same thing others have said, take your time, there is no rush. When it comes time to buy regulators (and other gear) I hope you consider us! (Deep6)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom