new micro 4/3 camera and goes underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is some info on the upcoming 9-18 lens that would fit in EPL1 housing
100 degrees angle:)
four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense_detail.html#9-18f40-56

Just noticed the price on the Olympus website ¥71,000 which is $775.32 + tax.

Here is some info on the upcoming 9-18 lens that would fit in EPL1 housing
100 degrees angle:)
four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense_detail.html#9-18f40-56

I also wonder does the dedicated underwater macro program allow PL1 to focus closer than 25 cm. stated in both lens` specs?

I also wonder does the dedicated underwater macro program allow PL1 to focus closer than 25 cm. stated in both lens` specs?
The page for the lens states that it can focus as close as 25cm. M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm f4.0-5.6 | OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM | Olympus Imaging Asia

However this news release page states 15 cm.

Olympus News Release:M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9–18mm f4.0–5.6 and ED 14–150mm f4.0–5.6 ultra-compact and lightweight Micro Four Thirds System lense

"Excellent close-focusing performance
At the wide-angle end of the zoom range, the lens offers a minimum working distance of just 15cm, making it possible to capture dramatic, wide-angle macro images."

So it's probably at most 25cm, which is a bit far for some macro.
Now some folks are going to wonder why you would want to use a wide angle lens with macro. Well, if it's what you have down with you, it's what you need to use when you see a great macro opportunity.
If you can also add wet lenses then your options are increased substantially.

Stopped by the Olympus booth. I got to fondle the E-PL1. Very small and compact as advertised. I want one. I spent some time talking to one of the Olympus staff photographers (John).The Oly housing looks good and I think if I had Inon strobes or other optically fired strobe already, I might just get the Oly housing. I think when/if Ikelite makes a housing for it, without the EVF and is compatible with my existing Ike strobes, I'm going to own a new camera and housing. I did talk with Jean at the Ikelite booth. She said 3rd quarter 2010 might be a little optimistic at this point. She also said the housing they are considering would be smaller than the Ike G-11 housing they had sitting on the display table. That would be great! That also means new tooling as this would be a tweener or not a size they currently make. She also said it would be interesting to see where this 4/3 system will lead too. Everthing 4/3 is so new. Looks promising to me. I hope it catches on...
Took the trusty 5050 for some pics for your viewing pleasure.
PT-EP01 housing, EVF, 17mm pancake, E-PL1 with 14-42mm and lens adapter:

Next to E-620:

Backside:

Business card in front to show scale:

Last edited:
The only issue for me about this PL1 is how fast it can actually focus and shoot underwater.
I have grown out of my Canon a720is and considering getting UW case for my Nikin D90. But this bulk is actually killing me....
Would love to swich to this new pen for just the price of cheapest d90 housing even without ports...
Cant wait for first UW pics and impressions:)

What is the magnification factor of a M4:3 vs 4:3 when using 4:3 lenses with the adapter?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom