Suggestion New name forum: Greater Caribbean Basin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Doc

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
In a move to include the Bahamas in a forum that was previously titled "Caribbean", we now have the forum name "Greater Caribbean Basin"- at least that's my guess why- and I would agree!

Unfortunately- where does that leave the Bay Islands and those lying South around the Cape of Honduras (Corn, San Andres, etc.) Are they included in the "Greater Caribbean Basin" or are they still in the Central/South American Basin. Where are the South American rocks between San Andres and the ABC's?

I don't know where to post what, anymore.

May I suggest one Forum title: "All rocks in the Caribbean, Bahamas"

And the other Forum be renamed "Central America & South America (Pacific/Atlantic Ocean locations)

?

RoatanMan:
In a move to include the Bahamas in a forum that was previously titled "Caribbean", we now have the forum name "Greater Caribbean Basin"- at least that's my guess why- and I would agree!

Unfortunately- where does that leave the Bay Islands and those lying South around the Cape of Honduras (Corn, San Andres, etc.) Are they included in the "Greater Caribbean Basin" or are they still in the Central/South American Basin. Where are the South American rocks between San Andres and the ABC's?

I don't know where to post what, anymore.

May I suggest one Forum title: "All rocks in the Caribbean, Bahamas"

And the other Forum be renamed "Central America & South America (Pacific/Atlantic Ocean locations)

?

Hi Roatan Man!
Yes, the Bay Islands would fall in Central and South America.
I would put the ABC's in the Caribbean threads, although yes, they are 50 miles from Venezuela.
But, don't sweat it too much. If you can't figure out what to do, post where you are comfortable. If it's really out of place we will move it, and leave a redirect for you.
We're still playing around with the whole travel area, so thanks for the suggestions.
New names and forums should be in place within a month or so.

Natasha:
Yes, the Bay Islands would fall in Central and South America.
I would put the ABC's in the Caribbean threads, although yes, they are 50 miles from Venezuela.
But, don't sweat it too much. If you can't figure out what to do, post where you are comfortable. If it's really out of place we will move it, and leave a redirect for you.
We're still playing around with the whole travel area, so thanks for the suggestions.
New names and forums should be in place within a month or so.

I chewed on that over night and I'm inclined to stick with the original re-naming as before, "Caribbean & Bahamas Destinations".

The Greater Caribbean Basin was misleading (to me) and I still imagine some others, as well. I figure saying "the Bahamas and the Caribbean" would mean what you intend- so maybe just say it that way--- or am I missing some intended islands? (Maybe the FL Keys?) My Atlas lists the group you infer under a page marked "West Indies" where they include everything from Bimini/Bermuda/Bahamas/Hispanola/Cuba to Venezuala. Is that a proper term? Dunno.

Aint nomenclature confuzin?

I guess Belize would be Central America forums then. Cozumel being Mexico which is North America... oh nuts- my head is starting to hurt!

I appreciate your comment that threads are redirected as appropriate, but not only does that take effort, but it doesn't always happen. Seems like a lot of discussion, but SB looks like it spends more time on initial design versus repairing problems later--- the right method and attitude!

Nicely done, at any rate--- it's the best thing going!

OK I'll make the change to have it read Caribbean & Bahamas.
And yes, of course Mexico is in North America. You're not the first one to bring that up. (Walter was first)
We are working on all of it...stayed turned, and please continue to give us your advice.

I have a haddock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom