New Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would only use it for emergency. So the new model with almost half the price & size of the old model suit my need just fine.

Yeah, gotta say that carrying a VHF radio to speak to boats while diving seems like extra hardware and unnecessary complication. I carry one in case I get swept away or otherwise lost by a dive boat, period. I can't imagine a scenario where I would be (a) on the surface in dive gear, and (b) need to speak with the boat but not in need of immediate pickup.

It's only because they brought out the one with the radio first that this might be seen as a downgrade. If we were all carrying the new model and they suddenly offered a "pro" version that included a VHF radio, I'll bet that they would sell very few. The exception would be for people who just want a VHF radio for use while on their boat - it might be nice to have in one piece of equipment. However, I suspect that most people who have their own boats also have VHF radios that are higher power with better antennas than this.

Smaller and cheaper are big plusses. Probably won't buy one since I have the old version, though...

Last edited:
I did like the thought of just speaking to the boat in question without alarming the whole flotilla. What would happen among boaters if this got triggered? They wouldn't all immediately go to the location right? Or would they, how would they know if it's their diver or someone else's. I was actually on line with credit card in hand this morning to purchase...

edit* Oh i see if its set up your boat will know its you...

Last edited:
One of the selling points from Nautilus Lifeline when I bought mine was that you could use the VHF or the Emergency options. The competing idea was using an EPIRB which was one-way satellite.

Since they went this route, why did they not just go with an EPIRB which is usable in vastly more locations. Since you do not have satisfaction on communication (two-way), an EPIRB seems like it would be a much better option and would provide better safety. Looking at this unit today, I would seriously think about putting a water resistant case on an ACR EPIRB. Line of site in the ocean is limited. Satellites have much better coverage.

One of the selling points from Nautilus Lifeline when I bought mine was that you could use the VHF or the Emergency options. The competing idea was using an EPIRB which was one-way satellite.

Since they went this route, why did they not just go with an EPIRB which is usable in vastly more locations. Since you do not have satisfaction on communication (two-way), an EPIRB seems like it would be a much better option and would provide better safety. Looking at this unit today, I would seriously think about putting a water resistant case on an ACR EPIRB. Line of site in the ocean is limited. Satellites have much better coverage.

I think it is because there is already one:
PLB1 - Ocean Signal

Since PLB1 & Nautilus, once they are activated, would last only 24 hour of battery life to send the SOS signal with GPS location, I'll have both. I'll use the Nautilus first to send radio signal to any boat within 37 km radius. If that fails to reach any boat, then I'll activate PLB1 on the 2nd day of floating in the sea to send SOS directly to the EPIRB satellites.

Sorry Dan_T - The 'go with an EPIRB' comment was not aimed at you.... I was rambling as to why Nautilus did not go EPIRB. Considering that there are no Scuba level EPIRBs it would have been nice change.

Sorry Dan_T - The 'go with an EPIRB' comment was not aimed at you.... I was rambling as to why Nautilus did not go EPIRB. Considering that there are no Scuba level EPIRBs it would have been nice change.

I know. I thought the same thing.

image.jpeg
That looks useful, I guess you would just need a reliable way of making it waterproof while diving.

I saw an old Sony underwater camera case good down to 40m, BIN for $2 + $8 shipping. So I bought it for the PLB1. Since the PLB1 is only good to 15m (50') deep & only 1.5"x2"x3" size, I took a gamble that it should fit into that old Sony camera case. What the hay, it's only $10 loss, if it doesn't fit. I can miss a lunch once in a while.

Both of these devices are small enough to fit into my BCD pockets.

Last edited:
I completely agree. If there was a dive ready epirb out there for a comparable price, I would replace my lifeline radio right away. I've tried to use my lifeline twice now, and both times failed. Never got to the "panic button" stage. As a communicator with dive boats, lifeline sucks. It seems boat captains like to turn down the radio to hear other things unless they're calling out... Or that's been my experience 2 out of 2 tries.

Back
Top Bottom