New Oly M4/3 camera + housing coming!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't really shoot very good macro, through a dome at all.

Are you kidding or just trying to start controversy ???
You may lose a little bit of perceived magnification due to the effects of refraction but geez,
I've seen plenty of good pics taken with Nikon's 'longer' macro lenses when used behind a small 4inch dome. . .
aaand I've taken literally hundreds of pics of nudi's with a 105mm macro and 1.4t/c behind a four inch dome. . .easy as pie
Bruce

Not to gang-up on Derway but curved or dome ports that are made for the lens will almost always give better corner sharpness over a flat port regardless of the angle of view of the lens. While the view of the lens may widen from behind a dome port you can also get closer so the two things cancel each other out. The up-side to the flat port is that it allows you to put more distance between port and subject. Also since most close-up lenses are flat on the side which is against the port glass they are going to work better than when they are but in front of a curved port. The dome however should give the better image quality every time when being used just with the prime lens. Aquatica made a curved replacement glass for their macro port when I was using an Aquatica housing with a Nikon F-3 with 55mm and 105mm lenses. I always got better image quality with that curved glass.

Regarding the housing photo from Shaker I think this is a proto-type, note the slots in the front of the port. I would not be in a panic over a change in port size. Olympus, at least OlympusUSA is well aware of the ZEN ports and at the time they were saying that the port was not interchangable they were showing the ZEN Underwater port in their trade booth at DEMA (Las Vegas 2010) and some other shows I attended. I don't think it would make much sence to piss off current Olympus housing owners who would be looking to upgrade to the PT-E08 housing and move their current ports to a new system.

I still think the attached photo is the near finished housing. OlympusPT-EP08.jpg

Phil Rudin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom