New Oly M4/3 camera + housing coming!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They will support the 50mm f2.0 macro as announced, it's a larger lens that needs a new port and probably a new mount.

Shaker,
Where was it announced that 'They' (Olympus??) will support the 50mm f2.0 macro?
The 50 can be fitted to the micro4/3 with the Olympus adaptor, but why bother when they are going to release a brand new lens in the 60mm??
Bruce

​
Shaker,
Where was it announced that 'They' (Olympus??) will support the 50mm f2.0 macro?
The 50 can be fitted to the micro4/3 with the Olympus adaptor, but why bother when they are going to release a brand new lens in the 60mm??
Bruce

Olympus will support the 50mm macro but also the 8mm fisheye:

"When an optional port adapter is used, an underwater lens port compliant with the Four Thirds System standard can be attached on it. This design is expected to make the two lenses, the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm f3.5 Fisheye and ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50mm f2.0 Macro, usable with the underwater case."

Here the link:
The Beginning of the New: OM-D Create Your Own World | Olympus Imaging Australia

ƒŠƒ“ƒOƒtƒ‰ƒbƒVƒ…

Shaker,

What Bruce is saying is that an adapter has been around since E-PL1 that allows the Olympus 4/3 lenses (for DSLR's) like the 50 macro, 8mm fisheye and any other 4/3 lens to be used on the M4/3 systems. The latest adapter being released with the E-M5 is the first to be weather sealed but it does not speed up auto focus much and that is the problem using these adapters with M43 and NEX cameras. Sony NEX has come out with an adapter that has a mirror in it to speed up A/F but it will not fit in any of the current NEX housings.

An adapter to allow current Olympus style (DSLR) ports from Athena, Inon and Olympus has also been out for some time from Athena. This adapter would allow ports to be used that would range from the 50 macro with the 1.4 and 2 X tele converters, Sigma 105 macro and all zoom and prime W/A lenses.

The problem is that new gears would need to be made for all of the lenses that would allow the zoom and manual focus to be used since AF is not all that good.

Olympus is just now releasing this adapter so that you won't need to go to an after market dealer for the part.

The part and how it is used is near the top of the attached page.

Phil Rudin

Somebody please help me understand the following.

The panasonic 45mm macro lens requires a shorter port that the 14-42mm kit lens, so it is a shorter lens in terms of physical dimensions. Will the upcoming Oly 60mm macro for the M4/3 be longer, shorter, or in between the the two aforementioned lenses. Any chance it will fit, AND WORK WELL, behind the standard Oly port or the Zen minidome for the 9-18mm? Not having to buy ANOTHER port would be really great. Are zoom lenses more flexible in terms of dimensions than prime lenses. Will a 60mm prime always be physically longer than a 45mm prime? Please help me understand.

ƒŠƒ“ƒOƒtƒ‰ƒbƒVƒ…

Shaker,

What Bruce is saying is that an adapter has been around since E-PL1 that allows the Olympus 4/3 lenses (for DSLR's) like the 50 macro, 8mm fisheye and any other 4/3 lens to be used on the M4/3 systems. The latest adapter being released with the E-M5 is the first to be weather sealed but it does not speed up auto focus much and that is the problem using these adapters with M43 and NEX cameras. Sony NEX has come out with an adapter that has a mirror in it to speed up A/F but it will not fit in any of the current NEX housings.

An adapter to allow current Olympus style (DSLR) ports from Athena, Inon and Olympus has also been out for some time from Athena. This adapter would allow ports to be used that would range from the 50 macro with the 1.4 and 2 X tele converters, Sigma 105 macro and all zoom and prime W/A lenses.

The problem is that new gears would need to be made for all of the lenses that would allow the zoom and manual focus to be used since AF is not all that good.

Olympus is just now releasing this adapter so that you won't need to go to an after market dealer for the part.

The part and how it is used is near the top of the attached page.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil,
You always say it sooo much betterer than me. . . :wink:
Bruce

do not piss off olympus current user~!

Amen....................................

Not to gang-up on Derway but curved or dome ports that are made for the lens will almost always give better corner sharpness over a flat port regardless of the angle of view of the lens. While the view of the lens may widen from behind a dome port you can also get closer so the two things cancel each other out. The up-side to the flat port is that it allows you to put more distance between port and subject. Also since most close-up lenses are flat on the side which is against the port glass they are going to work better than when they are but in front of a curved port. The dome however should give the better image quality every time when being used just with the prime lens. Aquatica made a curved replacement glass for their macro port when I was using an Aquatica housing with a Nikon F-3 with 55mm and 105mm lenses. I always got better image quality with that curved glass.

Regarding the housing photo from Shaker I think this is a proto-type, note the slots in the front of the port. I would not be in a panic over a change in port size. Olympus, at least OlympusUSA is well aware of the ZEN ports and at the time they were saying that the port was not interchangable they were showing the ZEN Underwater port in their trade booth at DEMA (Las Vegas 2010) and some other shows I attended. I don't think it would make much sence to piss off current Olympus housing owners who would be looking to upgrade to the PT-E08 housing and move their current ports to a new system.

I still think the attached photo is the near finished housing.View attachment 116287

Phil Rudin

hi,

I was looking for some infos on the new housing and i found this:
http://www.dcfever.com/articles/news/2012/02/120212_omd_17.jpg

The PT-EP08 housing seems to have a new, but much larger bayonet mount! I believe the "old" third party ports aren't compatible any more!

I see now from a larger photo from a different angle than Shaker's posted above that this is the proto-type housing but with the port removed. In the image I posted it looks like the end of the port has the "bumps" but in fact I think thry are on the port mount. Still looks like the same port is being used. I also read today that Olympus is considering a port for the 60 macro lens coming at the end of 2012.

Phil Rudin

Olympus told me that the cameras will ship in April, but the housings won't be available in the US until July or August.

I think this camera continues the 4/3rds line nicely and is the logical upgrade choice for users shooting 620s or 520s (or older!) that have a lot of legacy ports and lenses. Besides Olympus and Zen remember that Athena makes a wide range of ports and accessories for Olympus.

It's great to see all the excitement here and I look forward to seeing this puppy in the water - but do temper that excitement in the knowlege that we are several months out.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom