New Oly M4/3 camera + housing coming!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoiler alert!!!!

Looking carefully at those images, I think that we can safely say that none of the other PT-E0* ports are going to fit into the housing?
The bayonet lugs on my ports are massive compared to the openings shown on the new housing. My lugs are very close to 25% of the circumference of the port and looking at the image supplied, there is no way that my ports would fit into the lugs holes.
The adaptor on the other hand is definately threaded for some other style of port, maybe older Olympus and Athena as reported by Phil Rudin.

Not a happy camper Olympus. . . .:no: :shakehead:

Bruce

Hear is a link to bad translation to English for those of us that don't read Japanese.

Translation result for http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/info/2012a/if120326ptep08j.cfm

Before everyone goes into a panic over the posted price of the new PT-E08 housing I would remind you that on the Olympus JP site the current price for the E-PL3 is over $1000.00 when converted from Yen and the PT-E06 housing for the E-620 camera is over around $1687.00 without a port in Yen. The E-PL3 housing retails in the US for $799.00 and the PT-E06 housing runs between $999.00 and $1099.00.

I would expect to see the PT-E08 housing come in way below the $1360.00 conversion rate price.

The price point of the housing should be in line with the price point of the camera. With 16+MP I don't think many will want to be using the 14-42 lens because its flaws will be even more apparent with this sensor.

Lenses like the announced 60mm macro, 12mm, 9-18 and Panasonic 8 fisheye, 7-14 and 45 macro seem far better choices for this camera.

It is very evident that the new port for this housing only has ONE O-ring which would lead one to think that the old ports including the ZEN Underwater ports may not work with this new port mounting system and that would not be good.

Olympus has chosen to make an adapter, also with one O-ring which will allow use of the threaded ports for the Olympus DSLR housings systems from Olympus the (PT-DSLR series), Nexus/Athena (E-3 & E-5 housings), and SeaTool (E-3 housing). This would include over twenty ports and extension ports from Olympus, Athena, Inon and others for use with Olympus and Sigma 4/3 lenses. Some of these ports could also work with Olympus and Panasonic M4/3 lenses.

This housing has several more controls than the PEN housings and it appears the EVF can also be used.

Phil Rudin

you should be able to buy a 10 bar housing for that price. And a nauticam for not much more.
Way too much to charge for a basic plastic housing.

you should be able to buy a 10 bar housing for that price. And a nauticam for not much more.
Way too much to charge for a basic plastic housing.

I find your constant negativity most distracting to the amenity of this forum.
I believe that you are a glass 'half empty' person and with very little constructive energy.
I have followed your posts both here and on the 'other' forum and have not seen any positives and how you can say that Olympus' housings are only 'basic' is beyond me???
I have never had any problems with Olympus housings and I've owned about 6 of them and more than one has repeatidly seen 60meters. I certainly don't see the amount of criticism of the Olympus housing compared to that attached to your beloved Ike housings. . . .
Food for thought. . . .
Bruce

Before everyone goes into a panic over the posted price of the new PT-E08 housing I would remind you that on the Olympus JP site the current price for the E-PL3 is over $1000.00 when converted from Yen and the PT-E06 housing for the E-620 camera is over around $1687.00 without a port in Yen. The E-PL3 housing retails in the US for $799.00 and the PT-E06 housing runs between $999.00 and $1099.00.

I would expect to see the PT-E08 housing come in way below the $1360.00 conversion rate price.

The price point of the housing should be in line with the price point of the camera.

Thanks for your input, Phil. I think you're probably right about the US price not being set by USD at conversion rates.

Still, the housing+port cost for the E-M5 is 62,000 JPY higher than the E-PL3's housing. Based on the JPY/USD price for that housing, I'm guessing that the E-M5's housing will retail for $999 and $299 for the standard port. Quite a bit more than the housings for the current m4/3 models, but hey, this is their semi-pro model that costs just as much.

Quite a bit more than the housings for the current m4/3 models, but hey, this is their semi-pro model that costs just as much.

This is correct and it IS the point that most people seem to be missing, everyone is thinking that this E-M5 is JUST another mirrorless point and shoot, but it is far from that and quite honestly is giving a few of the other full sized DSLR's a run for their money (DPreview). When you look at the housing that goes with the new camera, there is quite a lot to look at and it isn't just one of your plastic boxes (Ike) with the control holes re-arranged for the different model. This housing is grafted to the new frame and looks great and as I have stated elsewhere, I have regularly taken Olympus housings to 60meters without any ill effects. . .
My only grumble with the new model is that Olympus has changed the bayonet system and the micro 4/3 ports are not compatible.
Bruce

Thanks Phil. That is good news.

Bruce you can ignore me, and take responsibility for your own feelings. We've been over this before, remember, and Phil too said he wished the 12-50 was a faster lens. If my pointing what I see as the pros and cons of a system, is so threatening to your beliefs and opinions, that it upsets you, maybe you need to stop trying to control others, and not demand that we all agree with you, or shut up, which seems to be the point.

Feel free to ignore everything I say, what is so hard about that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom