New pics from Bangka island, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mac Lovin,
Thank you :)
I think that the secret is patience and no rush....
You have to go slowly and with calmness...first of all because so you do not scare the subject .. and then because going slowly you can position your body in the right way, so that you don't create danger or damage to the reef around the subject... especially with the fins....
The most important thing is to observe the subject and how it is positioned .... then think in your mind the picture... imagine how it will appear in the screen.... and try to shot the picture.. then i watch and examine how it appear in the screen of the camera and then i regulate aperture to obtain the right exposure...
It is more difficult to explain than to do it in practice... :wink::D
Scipionems
Thank you very much for the great explanation!

Thanks for sharing these. I can't wait to get back!

These are wonderful images! We are also traveling to that area in December for a Lembeh workshop and hope to do a day of diving at Bangka Island!
It looks like you shot a few images with a fisheye lens for "close focus wide angle technique" which look awesome (some of the reef scenes especially). If I may ask, which dome port did you use?
I usually use the Olympus 60 mm macro, but I am considering a 30 mm macro or perhaps the 12-50 mm Olympus for extra flexibility and for sharing the lens with my wife who also shoots micro 4/3. Your photos really made me think more about the 30 mm lens for sure.
Thanks so much!
Bogdan

These are wonderful images! We are also traveling to that area in December for a Lembeh workshop and hope to do a day of diving at Bangka Island!
It looks like you shot a few images with a fisheye lens for "close focus wide angle technique" which look awesome (some of the reef scenes especially). If I may ask, which dome port did you use?
I usually use the Olympus 60 mm macro, but I am considering a 30 mm macro or perhaps the 12-50 mm Olympus for extra flexibility and for sharing the lens with my wife who also shoots micro 4/3. Your photos really made me think more about the 30 mm lens for sure.
Thanks so much!
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,
For the wide angle pictures I have used an 8mm fisheye Panasonic and a Nauticam 3,5" dome port #36131 N85 3.5'' Wide Angle Port - Nauticam
For the macro pictures, I have used for very tiny subjects the 60mm macro Olympus (sometimes with a wet macro lens), but for larger subjects like nudibranchs or fish portraits (like cuttlefishes) I used the Panasonic 30mm that is really easy to use.
If you look to the pictures of the Pigmy sea horses , they are made with the Panasonic 30mm macro lens + an INON UCL 165 wet macro lens.....
Sometimes I used even a Panasonic 14-42mm Powerzoom + wet lenses for wide or macro subjects.... but honestly in the area of Bangka island you had better to use 60mm or 30mm macro lenses....or the 8mm fisheye for some sporadic wide angle pictures..... :wink:
If you need more info, I am here :wink: :)

Hi Bogdan,
For the wide angle pictures I have used an 8mm fisheye Panasonic and a Nauticam 3,5" dome port #36131 N85 3.5'' Wide Angle Port - Nauticam
For the macro pictures, I have used for very tiny subjects the 60mm macro Olympus (sometimes with a wet macro lens), but for larger subjects like nudibranchs or fish portraits (like cuttlefishes) I used the Panasonic 30mm that is really easy to use.
If you look to the pictures of the Pigmy sea horses , they are made with the Panasonic 30mm macro lens + an INON UCL 165 wet macro lens.....
Sometimes I used even a Panasonic 14-42mm Powerzoom + wet lenses for wide or macro subjects.... but honestly in the area of Bangka island you had better to use 60mm or 30mm macro lenses....or the 8mm fisheye for some sporadic wide angle pictures..... :wink:
If you need more info, I am here :wink: :)

That's very interesting about the Panasonic 30 mm macro lens. I have an upcoming trip to Lembeh in about 2 weeks and I was thinking of supplementing my 60 mm macro with something shorter. But I was looking at the Nauticam port chart and saw both the Olympus 30 mm macro or the Panasonic 30 mm macro are labeled "Wet diopters are not compatible with lens."
I suppose Inon has devised a solution around this limitation that Nauticam must not recognize or they have not updated their port chart.
Here is the link:
file:///C:/Users/E651705/Downloads/N85%20Panasonic%20&%20%20Olympus%20&%20BMPCC%20(1).pdf
Thanks once again!
Bogdan

That's very interesting about the Panasonic 30 mm macro lens. I have an upcoming trip to Lembeh in about 2 weeks and I was thinking of supplementing my 60 mm macro with something shorter. But I was looking at the Nauticam port chart and saw both the Olympus 30 mm macro or the Panasonic 30 mm macro are labeled "Wet diopters are not compatible with lens."
I suppose Inon has devised a solution around this limitation that Nauticam must not recognize or they have not updated their port chart.
Here is the link:
file:///C:/Users/E651705/Downloads/N85%20Panasonic%20&%20%20Olympus%20&%20BMPCC%20(1).pdf
Thanks once again!
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,
I was not able to open your link....
But i have seen on the Nauticam chart port and i have seen that for both the 30mm panasonic or 30mm olympus it is possible to use the 45 port macro that have the M67 Port thread .. so it is possible to screw on the front of the 45 port a macro wet lens like the INON UCL 165 (like the one i used for the picture of the Pigmy sea horse in Bangka island)....
I have not seen any limitation in using wet macro lens in front of this 45 macro port....
N85 Macro Port 45 - Nauticam
Look here :wink:
Scipionems

Hi Bogdan,
I was not able to open your link....
But i have seen on the Nauticam chart port and i have seen that for both the 30mm panasonic or 30mm olympus it is possible to use the 45 port macro that have the M67 Port thread .. so it is possible to screw on the front of the 45 port a macro wet lens like the INON UCL 165 (like the one i used for the picture of the Pigmy sea horse in Bangka island)....
I have not seen any limitation in using wet macro lens in front of this 45 macro port....
N85 Macro Port 45 - Nauticam
Look here :wink:
Scipionems
Scipionems,
I was wondering if you've shot the Panasonic 45 f2.8 macro and what you thought of that, particularly in comparison with the Panasonic 30 mm and the Olympus 30 mm f3.5 lens. I think I will definitely get one of these 3 to supplement my Olympus 60 mm macro lens at this point.
Also, is the the correct wet lens you recommended?
INON Close-up Lens UCL-165M67 [Overview]
Have you ever used the SubSea +5 or +10 diopter with the Panasonic 30?
Thanks so much!
Bogdan

Scipionems,
I was wondering if you've shot the Panasonic 45 f2.8 macro and what you thought of that, particularly in comparison with the Panasonic 30 mm and the Olympus 30 mm f3.5 lens. I think I will definitely get one of these 3 to supplement my Olympus 60 mm macro lens at this point.
Also, is the the correct wet lens you recommended?
INON Close-up Lens UCL-165M67 [Overview]
Have you ever used the SubSea +5 or +10 diopter with the Panasonic 30?
Thanks so much!
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,
Yes the INON close up lens UCL-165 is exactly the wet macro lens that I use... it is a +5 , so it is quite easy to use.....

I used the 45mm F2,8 for a short period then I sold it and purchased the 60mm F2,8 macro Olympus, that is a better lens and with a faster autofocus....

The 30mm macro (Panasonic or Olympus) are easier lenses , perfect for fish portrait or for "normal" macro to nudibranch or sea slug not really tiny....
If you have already the 60mm Olympus, I suggest you to purchase the 30mm (Olympus or Panasonic) because these lenses gives to you more versatility ....

As I told you, I used the 30mm macro Panasonic with the INON close up lens UCL-165M67 for the picture of the Pigmy .... I have not tried to use the 30mm with other more powerful wet macro lenses like CMC2 (+15).
Probably it is possible to find the Panasonic 30mm macro lens on the second market at a reasonable price... because it is older than the 30mm Olympus that is relatively new.... :wink:
Scipione

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom