New PSD, need advice on BCD purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Washington, you should be in a drysuit, and since they aren't supplying, it should be the same rig for what you plan on diving regularly. I'd go for something around a 40lb wing because of exposure protection and the likelihood of using a lot of lead on your rig because of thick undergarments. DSS plate with weight plates and the LCD40 is where I would put my money...

That's just it. The LCD40 looks exactly like the kind of wing I had in mind.

only concern is that it is a long wing. Don't use it with AL63's or other short stubby tanks. HP100's, AL80's, or bigger, but if you're buying, call Tobin, tell him it's for PSD work, and just bite the bullet. You'll be just under $600 for the full singles rig with weight plates, and if your dive team wants a "fancy" harness then grab one of these for $80. Don't worry about the size, the harnesses are all the same, it's just the length of the shoulder pads that changes and it is just important not to have shoulder pads that are multiple sizes too big, sizes small could be an issue
Large - Dive Rite Transplate Harness - Red -Large

Ok so I did some testing, do to time restraints, I was unable to video record the experiment. Once all said and done, the Lifeguard Systems PSD S&R BCD tested to have between 45 and 50 pounds of lift. I also contacted Lifeguard Systems and they confirmed. The minimum lift is 25 pounds of lift depending on what size you get. Smaller, less lift. Also paperdesk, as stated before I wear both a jacket style BCD and a Back Plate and Wing for Public Safety Diving but here is Team Lifeguards answer in their FAQ in regards to what type of BCD a Public Safety Diver should wear. This may or may not work for you, like I said I wear 2 different types.

FAQs : Team Lifeguard Systems – Public Safety Water Rescue Training and Equipment

What should a Public Safety Diver look for in a buoyancy compensator? …

• Something with all or some of the following features:
    * Jacket style: Avoid backmounted BCs as they will force you face down if you are carrying a body on the surface, and will do the same if you become unconscious. Horsecollar BCs make it very difficult to properly transport a drowned victim on the surface.
    * Plenty of lift: At least 35 lbs. Remember you may be supporting the negative weight of an adult.
    * NO integrated weight system: Weight belts should be removed before any other piece of gear including mask, regulator, or fins.
    * Quick-release shoulder straps: A plus for one-handed BC removal.
    * Extra large shoulder and chest buckles: For quick, one-handed opening even when your hands are cold, you are carrying a body, and/or are wearing mittens.
    * Heavy duty construction: Able to withstand continual contact with a debris-filled bottom.
    * Trim: No clips attached to the BC, avoid extra rings, and anything that increases the risk for entanglement. Tools should be carried on the harness, not the BCD.
    * Multiple Pockets: Easily accessible for cutting tools, marker buoy, window punch, etc.
    * Hard backpack: Soft packs were designed for easy travel in a suitcase not for diving. Hard packs keep the tank in one place on your body. Soft packs offer little support so tank moves up, down, and side to side. This movement makes diving less comfortable, makes for poor buoyancy control, and increases the chance of entanglement. Each of these problems is compounded when a pony bottle is added.
    * Make sure: It does not cover a drysuit inflator valve, weightbelt release or harness tether point.
    * Bright color: Such as orange, allowing shore personnel to better see a surfaced diver.
    * Built-in quick release pony bottle pocket: This will save time and money.

The Lifeguard Systems BCD meets all these requirements and more!

Bryan, sorry to do this, but I have to....

FAQ #1 is a lie
FAQ #2 is dangerous because if you drop said adult, you're going shooting to the surface, use a lift bag, though adults don't weigh all that much, but lift bags are still better
FAQ #3, I'll give them that
FAQ #4 I'll give them that one, though only one on the right side is necessary
FAQ #5 a one piece harness does not have buckles that require you to get out of said rig via buckles, and with a crotch strap, which this doesn't use, you can have loose shoulder straps and still maintain gear stability which makes getting out of them quite easily
FAQ #6, why your gear is touching the bottom, I don't understand, but it does need to be durable
FAQ #7 contradicts FAQ 2,3,4
FAQ #8 contradicts FAQ #7, but pockets can be added to any rig
FAQ #9 is valid
FAQ #10 is valid, but is a fit issue, not a design parameter
FAQ #11 is silly, and stupid. Their gear is red, what is the first part of ROYGBIV? Red.... It goes away at depth, and isn't visible in murky water. Dumb choice for high vis application

those FAQ's are them trying to sell their rig. Fine, they chose to market their units by attacking others, doesn't mean it's a good decision. Keep in mind it is $650
Deep Sea Supply rig, $500.
Tiger Bracket $140 *MUCH better than their system, and much more stable because it is a quick disconnect to the tank instead of the rig. Also one of the most expensive brackets out there
DGX Pocket-$40-unnecessary, pointless, but it's there.
So for an extra $50 you have a better rig that you can use for all of your normal diving.... DSS can make wings in funky colors if you so choose, however it is much easier/better to use a bright colored tank, and/or a market light attached to the regulator for surface visibility, since the tank is kind of large. Since red is the first color to disappear at depth, red does not necessarily make a great visibility color. A white Faber steel tank or bright yellow aluminum tank is MUCH more visible at depth than any BC will ever be. Keep in mind that since they're using nylon, these will fade quite rapidly if exposed to chlorine or UV, whereas a tank can be painted bright colors and have reflective tape put on them....

Bryan, sorry to do this, but I have to....

FAQ #1 is a lie
FAQ #2 is dangerous because if you drop said adult, you're going shooting to the surface, use a lift bag, though adults don't weigh all that much, but lift bags are still better
FAQ #3, I'll give them that
FAQ #4 I'll give them that one, though only one on the right side is necessary
FAQ #5 a one piece harness does not have buckles that require you to get out of said rig via buckles, and with a crotch strap, which this doesn't use, you can have loose shoulder straps and still maintain gear stability which makes getting out of them quite easily
FAQ #6, why your gear is touching the bottom, I don't understand, but it does need to be durable
FAQ #7 contradicts FAQ 2,3,4
FAQ #8 contradicts FAQ #7, but pockets can be added to any rig
FAQ #9 is valid
FAQ #10 is valid, but is a fit issue, not a design parameter
FAQ #11 is silly, and stupid. Their gear is red, what is the first part of ROYGBIV? Red.... It goes away at depth, and isn't visible in murky water. Dumb choice for high vis application

those FAQ's are them trying to sell their rig. Fine, they chose to market their units by attacking others, doesn't mean it's a good decision. Keep in mind it is $650
Deep Sea Supply rig, $500.
Tiger Bracket $140 *MUCH better than their system, and much more stable because it is a quick disconnect to the tank instead of the rig. Also one of the most expensive brackets out there
DGX Pocket-$40-unnecessary, pointless, but it's there.
So for an extra $50 you have a better rig that you can use for all of your normal diving.... DSS can make wings in funky colors if you so choose, however it is much easier/better to use a bright colored tank, and/or a market light attached to the regulator for surface visibility, since the tank is kind of large. Since red is the first color to disappear at depth, red does not necessarily make a great visibility color. A white Faber steel tank or bright yellow aluminum tank is MUCH more visible at depth than any BC will ever be. Keep in mind that since they're using nylon, these will fade quite rapidly if exposed to chlorine or UV, whereas a tank can be painted bright colors and have reflective tape put on them....

Tbone 1004, no hard feelings I promise, I simply copied and pasted straight from their website just to give paperdesk little bit more information. Once again I don't necessarily believe in everything that they say or do, I'm simply just relying on my training and experience over the years. That's the great thing about Scuba Board you can get a lot more information from a wider group of people than just one person.

sorry, didn't realize the last sentence was copied, just saw that the "all that and more" was from their website.

We use Aqualung Black Diamond BCs and they work rather well. It seems everyone has their own preference on specific gear configuration, but the overall operation is the same. Works well with a dry or wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom