New Queen Anne's Revenge Dates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwvanno

Contributor
Reaction score
Just a note to some...

I know some people here had their 2005 Dive Down trips to dive Queen Anne's Revenge, canceled due to hurricane Ophelia...

The official site: http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/qar/ still has the Dive Down banner removed, but I've heard from Discovery Diving Co. in Beaufort, NC that new dates have been released.

April 14-16 for me!! :)

Check with whoever had your original dates, and they probably have new ones for you.

Just thought I'd share.

The current plan is for April 14 through May 14 or possibly May 21. Arrival will be on a Friday with education and dives Saturday and Sunday. The daily schedule will also be as planned last fall prior to Ophelia and her friends.

Again for details contact Lauren Hermley at Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, NC. She is the DiveDown coordinator. lauren@olympusdiving.com

Also for QAR information ... the better link to use is http://www.qaronline.org

The NC DCR page is a mirror.

Today I found this AP article...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/science/3678811.html

Looks like they are going to spend $$ on something that they have no idea whether it's going to help or hurt the site.

I've fire off a note to Lauren at Olympus Dive Center, who is the Dive Down Coordinator, asking if this is going to impact the program. I am anxiously waiting for a reply...

Chris S, I notice your name in the article... Any word on what this is going to do to the Dive Down schedule we already have?????

If anyone else has any info, please don't hesitate to share!!

The sand is being placed 400 feet south of the main wrecksite in an east-west line approximately 600 feet long up to 200 feet wide and about 7 feet deep.

The cost to the state and the public for this is absolutely nothing, it is being done with a slight alteration of the Corp of Engineers disposal of good quality sand from Bulkhead Channel. Rather than going in the near shore disposal area about 3000 feet from QAR it is being placed closer where when it dissapates it might help to replenish the sand moving off the site.

The area of Beaufort intlet that the QAR site lies in looses in the neighborhood of 80,000 cubic yards of un-replenished sand annually.

This will not affect the DiveDown planned for spring at all, or the May expedition to do more work on the site. When I dove the site Thursday the 16th, the north anchor was completely exposed down to the wooden stock (not good for preservation). This is the first time that has been observed, even post storm.

Thanks Chris.

I guess I feel better about my visit... Kind of... Maybe... My biggest worry, obviously, is that I'm going to make the trip from central Florida, and get a rare opportunity to dive on a sand bar. :)

But isn't it odd to be trying to get sand to cover something that you have been working to uncover?!?

Don't get me wrong, this is your area of expertise, not mine, and I'm sure you and all involved are doing what you believe is best for the site, but to an outsider looking in, it seems strange.

It seems the best preservation of the artifacts is to get them all off the ocean bottom as quickly as possible, and if they're exposed already, why not bring them up?

Is it a matter of you guys don't have enough resources to move quickly enough to recover the artifacts before they decay? Or is it some government red tape that's preventing you? Or is it simply a matter of very short work windows (based on dive conditions) and too much to do??

Fascinating overall, and I really look forward to seeing the site and artifacts for myself in a few months!!

Well I can guarantee that you won't be diving on a sandbar. The only question will be how much of the site you will be able to "see" because of the visibility. As with any diving there is no way to make any promises but the QAR DiveDown dives are being timed with the tides to try to maximize visibility. On average we expect around 5 feet up to 10 feet on a good day with the tides. I've seen days though with vis over 50 feet.

Without getting too technical (and boring) the sand in the ebb tidal delta is in constant migration. Some back and forth but primarily east to west. Think blowing sand in the desert. As the top few inches of sand moves west with current sand from the east comes in to replace it. The navigational channel .6 miles east of the site means the sand that would move in to replace what is leaving gets scooped out by the Corp maintaining the channel and placed in the near shore disposal area west of the site. Bottom line: no replenishing sand, less protection for artifacts, exposure, loss in storms. This is an experiment to see if we can artificially introduce the sand to slow the erosion, until we can get funding.

To answer your management question, it is a combination of the reasons you mention.

While as a general rule for archaeology we try to leave sites "in situ" and undisturbed; that is not really an option for the QAR because of its environment. Everyone agrees that the best preservation for this site is systematic, mapping, excavation, and recovery. The primary problem we have is funding. As all divers know, bottom time, boat diving, is not inexpensive. In 2005, researchers spent a total of 22 days diving on site for 235 hours 15 minutes of total bottom time. Beyond the water work, there is the conservation and preservation of the artifacts.

The environment dictates some limitations for us as well. Because of location our best work windows are spring and fall even though spring presents the lingering water temperature problems, and fall means we are dodging tropical systems.

Our best estimates are that if we had full funding we could excavate and recover the site in 3-4 years (6-8 field seasons). The follow up conservation work will likely take another 6-10 years to complete.

I'll see if I can post some pics from the site to a photo gallery to give everyone a glimpse, and I'll probably see you with DiveDown as I'm slated to lecture and supervise some of them at this point.

Great reply!

Thanks.

I'm sure everyone who has signed up is really looking forward to it, and I look forward to meeting you.

The last episode of Deep Sea Detectives on the History Channel (20Mar06) was about the Queen Anne's Revenge. For anyone thinking about DiveDown, you can see some of the wreck site and artifacts during the show. It was good vis that day. Overall a pretty accurate telling although they left out or glossed over some of the more compelling evidence to support the wreck's ID as Queen Anne's Revenge, and as with any media production there were a few things that were completely incorrect. All in all, cheers :beer: to Richie, John, Evan, Emily, and Sarah.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom