New reg and nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a brand new reg, Cressi AC10V/Master Cromo from a small local dealer last August, but didn't have a chance to use it before the end of the summer. I am assuming that the dealer checked it out before giving it to me and it has been stored in a cool dry place ever since.

I'm about to head to the Keys for a dive trip. Am I safe in believing that the reg will be all right and ready to go when I get there? I know that that may sound silly, but I have never owned a reg before, and am a bit nervous about proper care and feeding.

Also, I am planning on diving with nitrox. Is there any reason why I can't use this reg? I looked at the manual and it was unclear. There was a warning that looked to me as if, in Europe at least, this reg isn't approved to use with nitrox.

All modern regulators are approved for Nitrox in the US up to 40% oxygen. You won't have any problem on vacation in the Keys.

You should not assume that the dealer did anything but hand you the box. I would strongly recommend that you take your new toy to any local dive shop, and ask them to check the reg set in front of you. This should cost less than $10, and many places will do it for free, hoping for your future business.
The things you should watch them do are contained in @couv 's Regulator Checklist here: Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-7)

Basically, does the second stage leak? Does the first stage leak? Does it breathe easily (honking is okay out of the water). When he puts it on the first of two gauges, is the "Intermediate Pressure" of the first stage between 125 & 145 psi? Does it stay there? When he sucks on the second stage while attached to the second gauge, does it open the valve below 1.4" of water suction pressure?
If those tests are okay, you're good to go.
If not, they should be able to tune at least the second stage in 5 min, for a nominal charge. A first stage issue should be cause to return your purchase to the shop where you bought it for replacement or free service.

Just reread your post, where you said "local" dive shop. Don't worry, it's not impolite to bring it to them and ask for a check before you leave. They should be happy to do it. Takes me about 90 sec.
If they won't, maybe you have time to order an IP gauge from one of the online retailers for $20, and do the whole thing yourself! The kitchen sink cracking effort check is actually pretty elegant, if you don't own a Magnehelic. And you'll be better for learning it. A good way to keep track of your gear.

Last edited:
There was a warning that looked to me as if, in Europe at least, this reg isn't approved to use with nitrox.

This is typical European Union directive mess. At some point they gave a directive that any cylinder containing oxygen mixes higher than 22% must have a different thread, M26. Thus "nitrox regulators" that have this different thread instead of usual DIN (G5/8) connector.

National authorities in almost all EU countries either just don't enforce this directive or have their own local official exceptions that allow using regular DIN connectors for scuba tanks containing nitrox or up to 100% oxygen.
Thus everybody happily uses regular DIN regulators with nitrox, also for >40% oxygen mixes.

All new regulators come nitrox ready, this has nothing to do with actual nitrox compatibility.

Last edited:
I'm about to head to the Keys for a dive trip. Am I safe in believing that the reg will be all right and ready to go when I get there? I know that that may sound silly, but I have never owned a reg before, and am a bit nervous about proper care and feeding.

We have learned the hard way, never assume new or just services gear is working properly. Get the gear in a pool to test. And if it has been weeks since you have been diving it is good for you as well.

A dive trip is the last place you want to have gear propblems keeping you out of the water.

Thanks for the responses. I just called the dive op that I'm going out with in Key Largo and they said they'd be happy to check out my reg.
By the way, I did a class with four pool sessions over the Winter. Learned a lot and am looking forward to putting skills to use on real dives. I was using their reg, though, because part of the class was learning the "Hogarthian" setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom