New reg leaking about 1 bubble a second

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a new reg set about a month ago and finally got a chance to get it wet. It did great for what little time I was under on a very shallow, 7’ max, dive. I was just by the tub it is soaking in, pressurized, and notice that the primary 2nd stage is releasing a bubble every 1-2 seconds, for a total of less than 100 psi (probably closer to 50) over the past 2-3 hours. Nothing from the backup 2nd.
Is this one of those “keep an eye on it” things, or something I should have checked out sooner than later?
Thanks for the input,

Erik

DRIS Illusion. Will that make a difference?

Yes. Your 2nd stage has an adjustment knob to change the ease of breathing. Try turning it in about 1/2 turn. That will probably stop it. If not, repeat.

This is an excellent time to have an intermediate pressure gauge, to make SURE the problem is not the first stage exceeding it's proper pressure.
For more info: Understanding the Intermediate Pressure Gauge

I would return it and have them fix / adjust it. It should not leak. It is the sellers responsibility to provide you with a fully functional product. It will only get worse over time as the seal starts to get the indentation. You have have to continue to detune it until it gets serviced, if that is actually the problem.

The obsolete Oceanic GT3 second stage actually specified that it was tuned to leak slightly with the knob in the maximum out position, but that is the only time I have ever seen leaking allowed in a regulator service manual.

I’ve taken them out of the bin now but both 2nds were in pre dive with the adjustment knobs all the way down. I didn’t check the ip since only one was leaking. I should have also mentioned that the leak was coming out the mouthpiece, but would build up in the mouthpiece if I turned the reg mouthpiece down.

I’ve taken them out of the bin now but both 2nds were in pre dive with the adjustment knobs all the way down. I didn’t check the ip since only one was leaking. I should have also mentioned that the leak was coming out the mouthpiece, but would build up in the mouthpiece if I turned the reg mouthpiece down.
With 2 seconds one will leak first in a high IP situation.

I would return it and have them fix / adjust it. It should not leak. It is the sellers responsibility to provide you with a fully functional product. It will only get worse over time as the seal starts to get the indentation. You have have to continue to detune it until it gets serviced, if that is actually the problem.

The obsolete Oceanic GT3 second stage actually specified that it was tuned to leak slightly with the knob in the maximum out position, but that is the only time I have ever seen leaking allowed in a regulator service manual.
Same as Apeks in the past.

If I understand you correctly, one of the 2nd stages is leaking slowly while the inhalation adjustment knob is tightened as far as it will go? As in, hardest breathing position, and it's still leaking? If that's the case and it's a new regulator, then I agree you should send it back.

If one of the 2nd stages is slowly leaking with the adjustment knob all the way out, i.e. easiest breathing, that's much less of a problem. You can just dive with it turned in half a turn or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom