New Reg or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmarine_7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What in your opinion should come first? I'm a new diver and like most don't have the money to go out and buy everything all at once. I am looking at the Atomic Z2 for the regulator and the Scuba pro Aladin 2G for the dive computer.

What are your thoughts on the equipment and what should come first?

Personally, I would get the computer first.

Some will disagree with me because they think you should learn tables before using a computer but I think a computer where you can download dive profiles really helped me. My computer has arrows on it as you ascend to let you know if you are going too fast. It was very helpful to let me get the feel for how hast to ascend. Downloading the logs can let you see how you were diving. On one dive I unintentionally ascended about 15ft while using a compass. Looking back at the profile let me see how much I ascended and if it was too fast. It makes logging dives afterward easier.

This is personal preference too but I prefer a wrist computer. Currently my computer is on my console. MY buddy once had a small issue with his weights and I had to hold him while he ascended. With the computer on the console I couldn't monitor the depth as easily. I am getting a wrist mount for my computer now.

Ya, the Aladin i'm looking at is a wrist computer SCUBAPRO - ALADIN 2G

I hav absolutely no personal experience but the folks at my local shop and dive master I have dove with prefer suunto computers over scubapro. They claim that the interface is more intuitive. This may be something you want to look into.
I am looking at the d6i probably for my next computer.

My shop sells both so I don't think they are just trying to push me to a brand they sell.

I have an Oceanic, son & brother both have different Suuntos. IMHO whatever computer you choose, you will need to take the time to LEARN the interface. If you have the opportunity to play with one or another you MAY develop a preference. But whatever you choose, if you do any reasonable amount of diving, are of moderate IQ ( :D ) and actually pay attention, you will likely make out ok.

What in your opinion should come first? I'm a new diver and like most don't have the money to go out and buy everything all at once. I am looking at the Atomic Z2 for the regulator and the Scuba pro Aladin 2G for the dive computer.

What are your thoughts on the equipment and what should come first?

As a reg addict and an IT guy I would say reg first :)

Regs have souls , computers are pieces of junk :)

Seriously though I think they are slightly in different price categories.

If you can read tables you can get away with a bottom timer which can be had for a way under $100 (used), it would give you time, depth and surface interval.

I still use the BT and have no desire to switch back to a computer.

As for a reg, you can technically rent one but I never liked having a mouthpiece in my mouth that was used by someone else.

Rental regs are usually also tuned quite conservatively and do not give you the performance you can get from your own reg.

If you are not one of the "this company has a 200 years history so I go with their stuff" kind of people you can get a reg from HOG really cheap and as per people's feedback you will not regret it. So you can possibly have both w/o sacrifice.

Do not be obsessed with equipment , the best equipment is your heard :wink: You can also talk to members here , do some research and you can find very good equipment at a great price. Make sure you can service it if necessary.

I used my inexpensive($100) Seiko for my first 25 dives using tables. After that I got the gekko from Suunto which I would recommend as opposed to the Scuba Pro brand. That is equal parts personal preference and advice I received before buying the gekko. I now have the zoop model as my night dive com, but it is a great all around com, and only about $250 as well.

This is a link to some info on the zoop and a Cressi model from a current thread on SB
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...yzers/433117-cressi-leonardo-suunto-zoop.html

But, to answer your question, you should get your reg first. There is nothing worse then a bad rental reg. It will ruin your dive experience, be potentially unsafe, and they are not at all uncommon. Your regulator is your single most important piece of gear.
As far as the reg goes, you can't beat the Z2 for the price, you could spend alot more and not get a better breath.

Instead of new reg or computer, I'm gonna suggest used reg, new computer. Regulators if well cared for last for decades, and with the exception of the adjustable balanced second stages, really haven't changed much in many years. You can probably grab a complete reg set w octo and gauges for $150 or so on eBay, then add in the comp of your choice.

From pratical point of view, computer first. Reg, you can rent. For recreation dive depth, you won't notice any differences between rental (low end reg) and your high end reg. And for computer, you really need to know how to operate it, so having your own help to monitor your dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom