New regulation to enter Ecuador as of May 1, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is still legally required but they do not appear to always ask for it on entry into the country but your diver insurance with DAN, DIVE ASSURE or similar should cover it.

Reactions: CWK
but your diver insurance with DAN, DIVE ASSURE or similar should cover it.
Dive insurance only covers diving incidents. I buy additionaly travel insurance with DAN, and on a recent trip to fiji, I broke my tibia and fibia and had to use it. It's brilliant. No deductibles and they even sprang for first class for me and a companion to get me home. Don't leave home without it.

DAN Sport Silver member cover Medical & hospitalization costs for unexpected non-diving illness &/or injury abroad , is it enough ?

thanks

I was there in May 2019 and had same question about this requirement (see my earlier post). My insurance was through DAN both the dive coverage and travel insurance. Before I departed I called DAN and requested something to prove my medical coverage and they provided a very good letter. When I spoke with them they were aware and had letter already prepared for this. After all that work and research no one ever asked for the document to prove coverage but at least I had the letter.

Just fyi...Ecuador has yet to begin enforcing this policy. But yes, it is good to have.

I bought a policy from Allianz that was offered as extra coverage when I booked flights, then broke my ankle and tibia (surgery & 3 nights in a hospital) and did not go out of pocket 1 dime.

One other thing about Ecuador, and I do not know if hospitals do this or not, but if you owe a debt, the business or person you owe can prevent you from leaving the country until it is paid.

Back
Top Bottom