• Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 Octopus

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Scubapro MK17 Evo/G260 + R195 Octopus

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Scubapro MK17 Evo/C370 + R095 Octopus

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I will strike out the 2nd and the 5th options if costs are similar amount them.

Between AL, Apek and scubapro, pick the brand you can easily get support in your area. If all else are the same, I will probably go with Apek. I assume 1st stage is DST. It has better hose routing. Xtx40 2nd can easily be upgrade to xtx50 later with minimal cost.

- Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 Octopus
- Scubapro MK17 Evo/G260 + R195 Octopus
- Scubapro MK17 Evo/C370 + R095 Octopus

Order of preference:
1. - Scubapro MK17 Evo/G260 + R195 Octopus (awesome combination)

2. - Scubapro MK17 Evo/C370 + R095 Octopus

3. - Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 Octopus

If you are going to be diving in waters colder than <50F/10C, then MK17Evo/G260 is best. The C370 second stage isn't made for <50F/10C water.

Lots and lots of dives and zero problems. Nothing under 55F water. Just had serviced and tech said looked great. ( I religiously rinse and soak in fresh water after dives. Making sure no water gets into first stage.)

I own earlier we’ll-used version of this:
- Scubapro MK17 Evo/G260

My son’s Apeks is nice too. Can’t go wrong with these and good resale value.

Great breathers.

I suggested the Scubapro Mk17 and G260. I really like Scubapro regulators so I’m partial to Scubapro. I currently dive a Mk25 and 620Ti with an R190 octo and I’m adding a Mk17 setup for winter diving. I’ve used the Mk17 and G260 and it’s an awesome setup, probably what I’ll be adding to my collection.

A sealed first stage is nice for a number of reasons. Apart from the cold water thing, keeping salt, sand and other crap out will keep the regs ticking along for years.

Apeks.
I have been using the same reg for rec and tec dives for the last 20yrs. Both 1st and 2nd stages are very easy to service.

Thank you all for your answers! It looks like the most chosen package is the MK17/G260 followed closely by the XTX50. I see that the Scubapro service interval is every 2 years, while the Apeks need inspection one year and service the next, which I think may be more expensive in the long run. Any advantage of Apeks over Scubapro that would sway me towards it, other than the fact that is slightly cheaper?

I would avoid buying an cheaper "octo" whichever set you end up with. Just get two of the same second stages.

Thank you all for your answers! It looks like the most chosen package is the MK17/G260 followed closely by the XTX50. I see that the Scubapro service interval is every 2 years, while the Apeks need inspection one year and service the next, which I think may be more expensive in the long run. Any advantage of Apeks over Scubapro that would sway me towards it, other than the fact that is slightly cheaper?

They are all good enough choices but from the list I would favor the MK17 but don’t fall into the service trap, I inspect my regulator before every dive, get an IP gauge and check for a consistent and steady IP, look over your hoses and second stage every pre dive (if only there were a sticky at the top of the forum, something like a check list)

Most regulators will go many years between service if you just pay attention to performance.

You may also want to look at Zeagle, lately I’ve been diving flat head VI and F8’s with both the ZX seconds and the F8 seconds, I haven’t encountered anything that exceeds the performance, I recently found a new F8 first and second for $500 delivered, their top of the line regulators can be found at the big guys entry level prices.

Did you also compare their “Free Parts for Life” programs? I can’t find one in writing for Scubapro, but if it still exists then the last I heard it required the purchase of a full set of gear to enroll, and the dates were very rigidly applied. Aqualung/Apeks is a bit looser.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom