• Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 Octopus

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Scubapro MK17 Evo/G260 + R195 Octopus

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Scubapro MK17 Evo/C370 + R095 Octopus

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thay all are dependable, they all are durable and they all are going to breate just fine.

I have owned Scubapro Mk10, Mk25 and Aqualung Legend and Mikrons. My Mikrons are my go to regs, especially for travel. And service is available from any aqualung center worldwide. The only downside, and any of the smaller second stages will have this problem, is that exhaust bubbles may pass over your vision.

I am not saying to buy the Mikron. I am saying the all your choices will meet your criteria. So then it is down to features...

1) For the Mikron, its small size and lightweight is a feature.
2) Until the 2018 update, the octo was the same regulator as the primary but now the primary is standard with ACD. I don't know the the octo has that feature.
3) Then there is the ACD feature if that is i important to you.
4) And last is the inhalation effort adjustment knob for both seconds. I like this feature.

Thay all are dependable, they all are durable and they all are going to breate just fine.

I have owned Scubapro Mk10, Mk25 and Aqualung Legend and Mikrons. My Mikrons are my go to regs, especially for travel. And service is available from any aqualung center worldwide. The only downside, and any of the smaller second stages will have this problem, is that exhaust bubbles may pass over your vision.

I am not saying to buy the Mikron. I am saying the all your choices will meet your criteria. So then it is down to features...

1) For the Mikron, its small size and lightweight is a feature.
2) Until the 2018 update, the octo was the same regulator as the primary but now the primary is standard with ACD. I don't know the the octo has that feature.
3) Then there is the ACD feature if that is i important to you.
4) And last is the inhalation effort adjustment knob for both seconds. I like this feature.
ACD is a feature of the 1st stage, not the 2nd stage. So octo ACD question is a non sequitur,

ACD is a feature of the 1st stage, not the 2nd stage. So octo ACD question is a non sequitur,
Good point. Obviously I didn’t think it through as I was writing. :facepalm:

So with the Mikron you will get identical seconds except for color.

...While Apeks has one kit each for its 1st and 2nd stage.

So what? Why or how does this matter? One can complain by stating when the Apeks service kit is opened there are too many o-rings that aren't used. Again, so what.

SP carries far too many specific service kits for its products.

This comment has been posted before. I find it baffling and dubious. If one is servicing a particular reg then all one needs to do is use the corresponding kit. There is nothing difficult or even challenging about this. Quite simple actually.

So what? Why or how does this matter? One can complain by stating when the Apeks service kit is opened there are too many o-rings that aren't used. Again, so what.

This comment has been posted before. I find it baffling and dubious. If one is servicing a particular reg then all one needs to do is use the corresponding kit. There is nothing difficult or even challenging about this. Quite simple actually.

While it doesn’t make a huge difference it does add a little confidence for those who buy used gear, recently started diving Zeagle FH VI and F8 and I really like the fact that one service kit per stage will work, like Atomic, it just easier knowing I can pick an old regulator and not have to hunt down the parts. I do like that SP keeps trying new things.

I think I’m leaning towards the Apeks

What made you lean towards the Apeks from that referenced link? I read the entire thread and I couldn't find any reason to think that the Apeks is better.

What made you lean towards the Apeks from that referenced link? I read the entire thread and I couldn't find any reason to think that the Apeks is better.

Mostly because of the following quote from the other thread, and the fact that the Apeks kit is slightly cheaper and the 1st stage has a rotating turret for better hose management:

“The XTX50, XTX40, and G260 are balanced second stages. The R195 is an unbalanced second stage.

In terms of build quality the Apeks are streets ahead of the Scubapro, however the Scubapro is a slightly smoother breathe. The Apeks are also much more tolerant of heavy use and light maintenance, the Scubapro are a little more temperamental and don't like neglect.”

Mostly because of the following quote from the other thread, and the fact that the Apeks kit is slightly cheaper and the 1st stage has a rotating turret for better hose management:

“The XTX50, XTX40, and G260 are balanced second stages. The R195 is an unbalanced second stage.

In terms of build quality the Apeks are streets ahead of the Scubapro, however the Scubapro is a slightly smoother breathe. The Apeks are also much more tolerant of heavy use and light maintenance, the Scubapro are a little more temperamental and don't like neglect.”
I would disagree with that opinion

1st stage has a rotating turret for better hose management

If you're planning on only diving single tank back mount, this is kind of a moot point. Swivel turrets don't/can't really move while doing back mount because of the nature how the hoses are routed. The R195 being unbalanced is a fair comment at first, but ideally you're never going to dive exclusively on it. Balanced vs unbalanced is not really noticeable until you get deeper than 100ft, at which point it's still perfectly fine to breath on an unbalanced reg. With the G260, you're paying a little more for your primary reg being smoother at the expense of your octo being a little cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom