New Regulators for PNW/Tropical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drkcurrent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey SB,

I am looking to upgrade my gear to move from a travel recreational diver to a more local diver here in the Pacific Northwest and diving in the Salish Sea. Right now I try to do a dive trip every 18 months so I am diving around 30 times a year. I am using a AL Mikron and I have enjoyed it a lot. I am interested in dry suit diving in waters as cold as 40 as well as tropical/warm water dives as well.

I have read a bunch of other threads and I have probably confused myself more than anything but I have decided I want to got with Atomic but I do like the Zeagle F8.

I am thinking of going with a sealed yoke z2 with a z2 octo as that looks to to be the best set if I don't need a turret or a comfort swivel.

I have the budget for a M1, B2 ST1 or a Zeagle F8 but do I need to spend the additional money?

Thanks for the help

If you like your current regulator you should consider just sticking with it. There should be no problems at all using that reg. You'll need use another LP port for the drysuit inflator, but I think the Mikron has 4 LP / 2 HP.

You do not need a sealed 1st stage to dive in the PNW. I've been diving in Puget Sound and BC for 20 years using unsealed AL Legends and SP Mk25's. I've never seen anyone freeze a regulator in all that time, even there there has been ice on the water.

I use some sealed Apeks DS4's on my rebreather and they are great too. Very easy to self service as well. I'd recommend a DS4 or DST if you want to go that route.

Save your money for the Dry suit!

there are plenty of other great regs like mare navy abyss or you can get a sealed one from Hollis, the DX200 or something. But i am particularly fond of the F8, it never it me down....
<TG>

If you like your current regulator you should consider just sticking with it. There should be no problems at all using that reg. You'll need use another LP port for the drysuit inflator, but I think the Mikron has 4 LP / 2 HP.

You do not need a sealed 1st stage to dive in the PNW. I've been diving in Puget Sound and BC for 20 years using unsealed AL Legends and SP Mk25's. I've never seen anyone freeze a regulator in all that time, even there there has been ice on the water.

Save your money for the Dry suit!

Great advice! Any recommendation on where to get a dry suit? I know i need it custom made as I am very tall and skinny. I have had two dive shops tell me that an off the rack drysuit wont work for me

there are plenty of other great regs like mare navy abyss or you can get a sealed one from Hollis, the DX200 or something. But i am particularly fond of the F8, it never it me down....
<TG>

Thanks. Yeah I love how the F8 looks but I keep convincing myself I should get an atomic cause of how reliable it it is and well rated. What do you like about the F8?

Great advice! Any recommendation on where to get a dry suit? I know i need it custom made as I am very tall and skinny. I have had two dive shops tell me that an off the rack drysuit wont work for me

Seaskin

Thanks. Yeah I love how the F8 looks but I keep convincing myself I should get an atomic cause of how reliable it it is and well rated. What do you like about the F8?
The F8 is a great regulator, on par with other Atomic (same parent co.) but it’s a diaphragm vs piston, it’s sealed which makes maintaining it easier on you and should be less expensive to service (provided you don’t do it yourself) I like Atomic but I would take the Zeagle.

I recommend 8 Diving in Des Moines, about 20 minutes south of Seattle. They mostly sell Santi suits, which are great. Bare suits also popular and can be custom fit.

I recommend 8 Diving in Des Moines, about 20 minutes south of Seattle. They mostly sell Santi suits, which are great. Bare suits also popular and can be custom fit.
Thank you! I will give them a call

The F8 is a great regulator, on par with other Atomic (same parent co.) but it’s a diaphragm vs piston, it’s sealed which makes maintaining it easier on you and should be less expensive to service (provided you don’t do it yourself) I like Atomic but I would take the Zeagle.

Thanks!

My wife wants me to get the ST1 because she feels it would be safer and last longer. I'm skeptical that an extra $500 over the F8 is worth it

My wife wants me to get the ST1 because she feels it would be safer and last longer. I'm skeptical that an extra $500 over the F8 is worth it
They will both worth (oops = work) fine, I would get the F8 put that $500 towards a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom