New Regulators: How High in the ScubaPro, Atomic, or Apeks Line-Up Is Enough for Me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is limited, but it may be of value to you.

My very first regulator set was the MK25/A700. I like the MK25 because it has a lot of ports and swivels. I did not care for the A700 as it is very heavy to lug around under water and tended to give me jaw fatigue.

Interestingly, I purchased a used Atomic Z1 second and SP MK10 first stage for a pony setup and was surprised by how well it breathed and how light it was as compared with the A700.

So, I now have the MK25 first stage paired with a lightly used Z3. They are both stuck in the service area of my closed LDS for the duration of this unfortunate event.

So I guess I'm a used Atomic Zx fan as far as second stages are concerned.

Follow up:

Thanks, everyone for the informative responses.

I bought a new sealed DIN Atomic Z2 with a Z3 secondary on a long hose and a Z2 secondary for my neck bungee.

Subsequently, I sniped a barely used yoke Atomic B2 with B2 and Z2 secondaries on eBay for a pretty good price. It should arrive in a couple days. It comes with an SPG that will go on my Z2 rig, and I'll move my console computer to port the SPG came from on the B2 rig.

I bought the B2 because a course director said I'd need a conventional rec setup for the instructor school and exam and for teaching. Primary donate would be a no go in those settings. Also, when I work gigs on charter boats taking people on comparatively shallow open water dives, a simpler rig with shorter hoses has its advantages as I change out a bunch of tanks on a crowded deck in the surface intervals.

So now I have a good set up for my diving and a good teaching/travel set

The only decision remaining is whether to convert the B2 to DIN. Leaning towards it.

Follow up:

I bought a new sealed DIN Atomic Z2 with a Z3 secondary on a long hose and a Z2 secondary for my neck bungee.

Subsequently, I sniped a barely used yoke Atomic B2 with B2 and Z2 secondaries on eBay for a pretty good price. It should arrive in a couple days. It comes with an SPG that will go on my Z2 rig, and I'll move my console computer to port the SPG came from on the B2 rig.

I bought the B2 because a course director said I'd need a conventional rec setup for the instructor school and exam and for teaching. Primary donate would be a no go in those settings. Also, when I work gigs on charter boats taking people on comparatively shallow open water dives, a simpler rig with shorter hoses has its advantages as I change out a bunch of tanks on a crowded deck in the surface intervals.

The only decision remaining is whether to convert the B2 to DIN. Leaning towards it.

I gather when you say "long hose" you mean a 7' hose?

For my single tank reg sets, I have a long hose and a short hose. But, the long hose is 40".

When I'm teaching, I take the bungee necklace off the short hose reg and use that as my primary, with the 40" hose reg stowed for secondary donate. When I dive single tank for fun (which, admittedly, is VERY rare), put the bungee necklace back on the short reg and wear that, while using the long hose reg as my primary.

I just really can't see any value in a 7' hose on a single tank reg set. Or, so little value as to be not worth it compared to the cons.

Stuartv,

Yes, it is a 7’ hose. I’ve never dove with more than a single tank, but I started using the long hose when I took the cavern course, and I expect to take some kind of intro to tech course before I go to instructor school.

But the length is a bit of a hassle, which is why I was interested in that used set.

Can't go wrong with the aqualung legend. Someone had one for sale on here for $250 not long ago.

For Apeks, you don't need to go higher than the XTX50.

Correct. I had an XTX-50 and it was a well made regulator. You lose nothing over XTX-200. I have personally grown to appreciate its American cousin Dive Rite. I have taken my Dive Rites to upper 30s and lower 40s cold water and they have performed well.

Follow up:

The best decision! Atomic Z2 is one rock solid performer. Second to none mate.

Back
Top Bottom