New Research Shows a Shark Attack on Seal Decoy Deterred by Shark Shield

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkShield

Registered
Reaction score
One of the most common questions asked about Shark Shield is whether the device is capable of deterring an attacking shark.

However, in 2012 Australian scientist's form the South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI) independently tested Shark Shield off the coast of South Africa, a dynamic test using towed seal decoys resulting in some research findings and exceptional video that help answer the question.

They conducted 189 tows of the seal decoy. With the Shark Shield turned OFF, there were 16 breaches and 27 surface interactions.

With the Shark Shield turned ON, there were no breaches and only two at-surface interactions.

We have posted the research video supplied by the scientist here Shark Attack on Seal Decoy Deterred by Shark Shield - YouTube

In the second test, a static bait test of South Australia, the scientists found that with the Shark Shield positioned a few meters from the bait, it took the sharks twice as long to take the bait with the Shark Shield turned on.

I am not sure what this has to do with TV's and Movies, and I am not really sure how divers might apply this technology to diving. Divers in the water intentionally with sharks are either in a cage or have some feeling that they understand the behavior of sharks to the point where they don't need the confining safety of the cage. I am sure though, you will find some phobic that is more than happy to hang another five pounds of gear from their rig so as to avoid the lightning strike possibility of being attacked.

I will say that the from the perspective of the static bait test, I will almost certainly continue to leave my luck Christmas ham on the boat instead of wearing it while diving....

Back
Top Bottom