New rEvo BOV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can actually buy them so that they aren’t that way but I believe that is the most common.
you can buy closing and non-closing QC6s
also with and without the keyed sleeve
there are probably other varients

The diving use type are most commonly:
closing (both male and female sides)
non-keyed.

My divesoft breathes beautifully. I g250s or g200s and mk25s as my of regs. I won’t lie and say the divesoft breathes that well, but not far off.

I will dive it and try it just as it is. If it is still as stiff in the water, at depth, then hopefully I can get a manual for it and adjust the cracking pressure. I don't want to make it as light as my normal OC regs, but a lot lighter would be nice.

Huh. I thought the point was two factors...

First, the closure factor. Like if I wanted a second oxy fitting on my MAV and I used a BC fitting instead of a QC6 then a press of the Mav button without the alternate hose would just vent the gas out the alternate fitting.

You can easily get a LPI male fitting with a one way valve.

If you are using a revo mav you do not want to hook up alternate O2 to that - it will blow tiny drops of water into your orifice and solenoid. You need to put in a splitter and hook up your offboard gas (whether dil or O2) to the dil side.

Sorry for the hijack on QC6 @stuartv!

So some thoughts for consideration..
I see where you're coming from. You're using a manifold with QC6 on the input side. I wouldn't have thought to do that based on my misunderstanding (above) of the flow you get with a QC6. I was thinking more about the output side. Right now my dil manifold (and BOV) is hard plumbed into my dil first stage and I just use offboard bailout for suit to get some redundancy in buoyancy control. I have a suit bottle but I haven't used it with the rebreather. The mounting I was using before just doesn't work on this rig. I'm not sure how far I'll go with this setup, but that's just where I am now.

You can easily get a LPI male fitting with a one way valve.

If you are using a revo mav you do not want to hook up alternate O2 to that - it will blow tiny drops of water into your orifice and solenoid. You need to put in a splitter and hook up your offboard gas (whether dil or O2) to the dil side.

I guess that's a good point. A check valve might be pretty reasonable. But I don't have a REVO... I'm no Stuart! :)

Good news (for me).

The OC side should not be as stiff as it was and I have fixed it. Good job as I'm the one that broke it.

I got this back from rEvo:

BOV passes EN250

So it should not breath stiff

Check if IP is set at 10 bar on your first stage

What could also be is that the blue membrane is dis-located

I have seen this before, when you pull negative without gas connected you can dislocate the blue membrane a little

I did suck a negative on it before I installed it on my CCR. Apparently, I sucked hard enough to dislodge the OC diaphragm. I reckon it would have sucked (ha ha) to dive it like that!

I pulled off the front bits and put the diaphragm back like it is supposed to be.

I also checked my IP and it's a bit over 9 bar. Maybe 9.2? So, it is set low compared to the factory spec. I reckon it didn't matter, before, with no BOV. The BOV breathes well enough (on OC) now that I will just wait until the next service on the dil 1st stage to get it adjusted to 10 bar.

Also, they did not send me WOB data. They only said that the OC part passes EN250 and that CC mode WOB is "slightly less" than the classic DSV because it "has a larger inner surface". The BOV barrel is quite a bit fatter than the DSV.

Diaphragm messed up:
rEvoBOVDiaphragmBad.jpg

Diaphragm fixed:

rEvoBOVDiaphragmGood.jpg

QC6 is able to be keyed so that you can’t connect, for example, an oxy supply hose to a dil input. Although my understanding is that most people don’t do this and there isn’t any agreement on how keying should be done even if you wanted to do it.

My O2 deco bottle actually has a male QC6 on it specifically so I can plug it into my DIL mav. So does my stage/safety.

O2.jpg

Stage.jpg

My O2 deco bottle actually has a male QC6 on it specifically so I can plug it into my DIL mav. So does my stage/safety.

Ditto
My O2 bottle actually has both LPI and QC6 outputs (plus a 2nd stage) so it can connect to mine or anyone else's input.
On my meg the LPI would go in at the O2 MAV which is a BC nipple
On my kiss the QC6 would get swapped for my dil input.

My 50% bottle has LPI and QC6 outputs (unconnected typically) as well
My deep BO also has both lpi and QC6, but the QC6 feeds my BOV on my Meg and the dil MAV on my Kiss.

I don't have any buddies using swageloks that I know of.

Good news (for me).

I got this back from rEvo: they did not send me WOB data. They only said that the OC part passes EN250 and that CC mode WOB is "slightly less" than the classic DSV because it "has a larger inner surface". The BOV barrel is quite a bit fatter than the DSV.

On the performance specifications of EN250, just a note from the British Health and Safety Authority that:
"EN 250 only tests the performance of equipment to a depth of 50m. Twenty percent of incidents studied here involved depths greater than 50m, some by a considerable margin. Action is needed to ensure that users understand that performance of EN 250 equipment deeper than 50m cannot be guaranteed.".

For BOV on CCR's the NORSOK U101 standard is more relevant due to the increase in depth that it covers imho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom