New security at ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
According to the article, metal detectors are being installed on the Cozumel side.
Bags are subject to search.
Arrive at least 1/2 hour early before your departure.
No Mexican news worth reading is complete without unrelated pictures of scantily clad women. (Not!)

They will install metal detectors

COZUMEL, March 14.- As of Monday, the San Miguel pier must have four metal X-ray detector arches, passengers must arrive half an hour before boarding the ships.
The security mechanisms that have arrived to stay will be compulsorily placed this weekend by the comprehensive Port Administration of Quintana Roo (Apiqroo). The need for civil works for its installation will take at least two days to install, the idea is that they are running on Monday, at the latest.
Through these arches will pass the luggage of the passengers, in case of bringing metal the alarm will be activated and a revision of it will be carried out.
In that sense, Guillermo Rentería Zúñiga, Operations Manager of the Apiqroo, said that his staff will operate these X-ray arcs, and in case of suspicion, the passenger will be asked to open their luggage, and they will request the collaboration of the Federal Police or other authority of the federation in the port area to review.
In case there is no federal authority on the pier, Apiqroo staff will check the backpack with gloves.
If as a result of the review, if the user brought something illegal, it will be consigned to the corresponding authorities, but in case of not having anything illegal it will normally address, although in case of losing the ship due to the delay inherent in the revision, and leaving "clean" ", You will have to wait for the next route to travel to Playa del Carmen, for that reason the arrival of the people to board has to be half an hour before.
Alicia Ricalde Magaña, director of the Apiqroo in the entity, revealed that the placement of metal arcs, will force them to modify their chapter thousand referring to the nominal load because they will be forced to hire more personnel, even with salary higher than several employees at present, because these arcs will be operating.
Similarly, confirmed that the government of the State, has acquired four metal arches, one still to come because the city offered to donate an arc but have not delivered, however admit that they require more of these portals for the flow of passengers Every day they go through the Cozumel-Playa del Carmen route and vice versa.
Probably this Saturday and Sunday, they are carrying out the first tests of the security filters, with the intention of having them ready for their official operation on Monday.
One of the new modalities in analysis, is that the shipping companies have a list of passengers by official identification when buying a ticket.
The Federal Commission for Economic Competition (COFECE) will consider the possibility of alternate departures to avoid "bottlenecks" at the San Miguel and Navega docks in Playa del Carmen.
There are several docks that will be equipped, for this there was previous revision to their security methods, specifically to the docks of Puerto Juarez, Isla Mujeres, Punta Sam, Calica, Chiquilá, Holbox, Chetumal, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel, the foregoing It was run by the Institute of Nautical and Port Education A. C (IENPAC), who advised for the implementation of the new devices.

Well that will be interesting to get through with a full load of scuba gear.

Edit:Not to mention that it will not be effective against explosives unless they are packed in metal.

Skip the metal detectors and just do mandatory bag searches. At least it will be effective.

I see a new 'security' fee coming. Like the Mexico airports entry and departure fees I expect it will be at a very high rate well in excess of actual costs, another money maker. To dampen any criticism they can just charge the tourists who have no voice in the issue.
I truely hope I am wrong but I am of a cynical nature where governments and fees are concerned.:(

According to the article, metal detectors are being installed on the Cozumel side.
Bags are subject to search.
Arrive at least 1/2 hour early before your departure.
This is one more reason why I'll fly directly into Cozumel even though I have to change planes in Houston and it costs more.

Gotta love security theater. Inconveniences everyone, does very little to prevent a problem. Here's hoping something is going on behind the scenes they aren't telling us about.

Like gopbroek said, What was not mentioned was how much this is going to add to the cost of a Ferry ticket. I can see a $5 security fee being added to the Gringo ticket. No charge for locals.

This could be good for Mayair.

I hope it doesn't screw up my arrivals. TYPICALLY, we are just walking down the to the pier 2 minutes after the ferry is supposed to leave. (I don't know how Southwest times that so well?) Then the guy at the booth for that ferry yells come on and radios the boat, we rush down, buy tickets and the ferry leaves 5 minutes late.

I did get shafted 2 times ago when they had a weird schedule on the 1/2. I thought well it save a half and hour, so I got it. Nope. They waited to the hour when the next boat was leaving, so as to not let them have all those people.

Gotta love security theater. Inconveniences everyone, does very little to prevent a problem. Here's hoping something is going on behind the scenes they aren't telling us about.
Security Theatre. Accurate term. I suspect that this is a knee jerk reaction to a one time event that is only designed to placate the American Govt to show how much they are doing to make sure Americans are safe in Mexico. As a wild assed guess, I'd say that there are usually around 75-150 people on board when we take the ferry. Baggage checks for anything metal are going to take a while. Hopefully this will be in effect for a couple of months and the scanners will break and not be fixed. While I don't buy the insurance scam theory, I do not believe for a second that this was a threat towards Americans or tourists in general. There are dozens of easier, more effective, targets for that.

Welcome to the world...we will still take the ferry as long as it saves at least a couple hundred per trip. It's just another travel inconvenience. See y'all on the reefs....Barracuda hopefully!

Jay

Back
Top Bottom