New Sony 10.2 MP DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the lenses, the spec's say: All Sony/Konica/Minolta ALPHA1/MAXXUM/DYNAX Lenses

It's probably a nice $1,200 camera. Good spec's. Yet if I was going to spend that much I would probably go with a EOS 30D or a D200.

ssra30:
Since Sony makes the CCD for Nikon D200, this camera may be more similar to Nikon than Olympus. No announcement for any housing yet but I doubt many housing manufacturers would be willing to take a financial risk to house it.

I doubt it either.
The jury is still out on this..

Diver Dennis:
This new Sony DSLR camera is supposed to be compatible with 16 million lenses.

There is likely 16 millions lenses that have been sold over the decades that will fit this camera. Is that a huge selling point given a LOT of these lenses are MF? IMO no, but it could make the camera appealing for those looking to get a bunch of glass on a shoe string!

Sony has 22 Alpha lenses, and that is likley enough for most shooters, and certainly worthy of consideration for those that have no investment in other glass.

Sony has also really put an effort into this camera as a complete system. Various flash configurations (like the macro twin), finders, voltage adapters, and remote triggers are available.

Build quality and speed are not equal to the D200, but it does offer a couple interesting features. Built in image stabilization, and a dust sensor are both features not found most DSLR's.

Is the camera worth a look. Absolutely. Personally I have no interest as I own Nikon glass. Will there be an UW housing for this camera? Hard to say.

It is always interesting to see how new DLSR's do in the marketplace. It's not an easy market to crack. Sony sure has put a lot into this from a complete system point of view.

Diver Dennis:
This new Sony DSLR camera is supposed to be compatible with 16 million lenses. I just got this today and if it is any good, I can se why Rebels are going down in price... Here is the Canadian website. Reasonable price too.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1002931&RequestPartner=Newsletter_June2006_Alpha

There is a hands on preview on the Sony over at Dpreview.
Looks interesting, but I don't see myself taking a risk and purchasing that.

Leesa, I do believe that the price quoted is in Canadian Dollars.

Mike Veitch:
I betcha Ikelite makes a housing for it first.....

If anybody is going to support it, I would guess Ikelite will be the first as well. However looking at the Minolta portchart on Ikelite site, the widest lens they support is 20mm. However the macro side looks ok :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom