New Sony Cybershot RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60i will give you 60 fields per second or 60 half frames. If you press pause you will see a ragged picture as it is actually half a frame
There is a lot of theory around 60i being better than 30p for fast moving scenes as the eye interpolates better however today the Tv sets are not anymore interlaced display but they deinterlace anyway either blending or using other techniques to end up with a progressive video

Video follows the 180 degrees shutter speed rule that basically says that shutter speed should be double the frame otherwise the footage is jerky
At 24p this means 1/50 at 30p 1/60 and at 60p 1/125
Underwater 24p and 30p are preferred if you don't want high ISO noisy videos
The difference of 1 fstop in shutter speed would be compensated by the camera with ISO so if at 30p you can shoot a scene at ISO 200 at 60p you need ISO 400, this of course at the same depth of field
If you shoot 60p at 1/60 you get sluggish jitter and need to drop half of the frames and convert back to 30p to have it looking like a proper movie

Yes, I read about that 180 degrees rule for film look. Never really try it though. Thanks for the reminder.
I will do some experiment when I have time. With my Splash Lite player, I don't have jitter issue, so I never looked into that.
I don't actually like mild blurring when panning like film would do.

Later,

The problem is when the camera shoots 60p but keeps shutter speed at 1/60
This gives you footage that is more jumpy than 30p
The solution is to drop half of the frames
I already have a sanyo xacti that takes 60p at 1/60. The 60p footage looks like it is vibrating and has more rolling stutter
When you drop half the frames it looks good at 30p
However in order to save space I ended up shooting at 30p as in most cases with natural light shutter of 1/125 is too fast and ISO values become too high and for macro with a light 60p looks worst than 30p as when you zoom in the shake is amplified
On this basis 24/25/30p are the best for underwater video

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time choosing between the Sony A65 and the RX100.

The RX100 is so appealing because of it's size. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I received a message from ikelite germany... the underwater-housing for the RX100 is out now...

Sony RX-100 UW-Gehuse - Ikelite-Deutschland.de

Even that I've pressed my thumbs to see a price below the 300 Euro barrier, I'm finally happy to see this housing online.

:D At least it's an much cheaper alternative for the not-so-pro-enthusiasts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom