New Strobe - need tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a new strobe!!! Yay!

I've had my camera for about a year and a half a just got my strobe this week. Yay! I go on vacation in about 5 weeks and would like tips and excersices that may have helped you get better at using your strobe.

Here's the kicker. I broke my foot three weeks ago so it's fairly unlikely that I'll be able to get in the water before my trip. I plan to spend some time in a dark-ish room trying to get the feel of the strobe and hope to maybe make it into the pool to play as well. It's not ideal but that's what I get for being less than graceful. :shakehead

FWIW, I have an Oly 5060, PT-020 housing, UCLS arms and a YS-90 auto on a fiberoptic cable.

thanks

In the pool it is nice to shoot objects at the distance you normally shoot underwater. with auto and manual flash, for better results try shooting in the late afternoon.

Best, better days with your foot.

Thanks,

The thing I'm having a hard time with on land is the shear size of it all. The YS-90 is pretty heavy, and my strobe arms are 8" & 5" so it's super lopsided and still feels awkward and is hard to move it around.

I'm dying to know what it will feel like in the water and to see what the weight distribution will be like.

thanks again.

I use the YS-90 on my C7070. Underwater you don't have that sagging problem. The strobe is large, but does a good job with coverage and recovery and is neutral UW.

I've been using manual mode and then dialing the exposure from .7 to 1.5 below the indicated exposure called for to get the strobe not to overexpose the picture. Depending on you position to the subject that might change. You'll get the hang of it underwater. The great thing about digital, is the delete button, and instant response with the display.

Ditto ABQdivers comments on dialling down the exposure .The Auto sensor doesn't do such a great job . I got so annoyed with it I bought a replacement bulkhead from Matthias and a Sea & Sea sync cord - haven't looked back .

AndyT:
Ditto ABQdivers comments on dialling down the exposure .The Auto sensor doesn't do such a great job . I got so annoyed with it I bought a replacement bulkhead from Matthias and a Sea & Sea sync cord - haven't looked back .

The Matthias bulkhead is the thing that allows you to shoot TTL with the oly housing right? I've seen those. Not in the budget right now but it's something I'll keep in mind.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom