New Suunto D6i: MODE button not working after second dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dexclusive.com Hollywood, Florida, 33024.
I have the proof of delivery, they received it back on Jul 9th.
I'm not sure I would be able to receive it there because I dunno how Honduran customs work and Utila is a small island. I asked them to ship it to a relative in Miami.
I'm going to Utila Aug 2nd to 6th.

gtrab,

Is that relative also going on the trip? It is possible for it to be sent straight to your home before your trip but there is also an issue if the computer gets hung up in customs coming back to you as well.

Br,
Chris

(@gtrab) Check out the black Scubapro Meridian at Beaver Divers. They gave me such a great deal on one I later bought a Aladin 2G puck for my console. Also threw away my 'unserviceable' Suunto wrist mount after contacting their customer care(?) department. Good luck on your situation.
Dive safe,Have fun!
KT

@Chris my relative can bring it any day to me here

@Krazytomdiver thanks for the advice
I'm only advanced open water right now, but I'm starting rescue late Aug, and then DM all the way =)

---------- Post added July 30th, 2013 at 10:14 AM ----------

@Chris
I asked for a refund yesterday and meanwhile it seems like Suunto's service has confirmed the fault to Dexclusive.
They have offered me replacement or refund. I said replacement since I won't have time to buy a new computer on-time.

I had the same issue with my first d6i from deep blue dive in NE England when I went to Mexico after the second dive the mode button just stopped working. I still used the computer for diving as when u descend it changes in to dive mode. But I cudnt change any of the functions like u say. Unlike yr self I had no problems with deep blue they sent it off to suunto who advised them to give me a new replacement...... Unfortunately my second d6i has done exactly the same I've returned it again and I'm now awaiting a refund as this doesn't fill me with much confidence. I'm beginning to think this is a design fault. I loved the computer while it worked, but I'm afraid I don't wish to be stuck with a broken d6i that has a knackered mode button.
The button has no resistance when pushed it seams as if something has snapped as there is no small click

1 disappointed suunto d6i customer think I'll be looking at other manufacturers if suunto can't give me some sort of guarantee

Gary C.

Hi gtrab

I experienced the same problem as you, without any logged dives. At this time my D6i is 2 months old. I couldn´t find any information about the locked mode button either. When I read the manual, I found a text about keeping the USB-contacts clean. The buttons on the computer was mentioned as well in this chapter. I checked my mode button for any dirt (it´s been on the shelf for 2 months...), didn´t find any obviously, but when I spinned the button around clockwise I heard a clicking sound. After this, the mode button worked normally. When I spinned it a little more, it stopped working. Spinning it again until I heard the click, it worked again...

Don´t know if this is a feature or some sort of malfunction, but I´m gonna call the reseller as soon as possible. I might even give Suunto a call since i live in Finland.

Best Regards,
Fellow Scuba Diver

Cool, thanks for sharing your findings!
Shor story: I finally got a refund and bought another D6i from another retailer.
So far so good: 6 months, many dive trips and I am very happy with the watch/computer.
It has taken a good beating inside caves and shipwrecks and keeps working perfectly. Great piece of machinery.
The metal strap scratches very easily and I preferred the white rubber band but on land I wear it as a watch with pride because every scratch has a story to tell =)

henkklund,

The issue that you are experiencing is most likely a faulty pusher plate. The pusher plate is the contact on the inner module which the button pushes up against. This is a warranty issue that can easily be corrected for you at any of the authorized Suunto service centers. Please locate one of the authorized service centers nearest to you from the link provided. Suunto Dealer Locator
You will need to send your D6i and a copy of your original purchase receipt. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Back
Top Bottom