New Swim Technique For Disabled Divers--"fly" Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been posting in a different thread (Beyond Drag...) about a different style of underwater swimming I have been working on since the 1970s. While I am not disabled, I am now 70 years old, and I want to get these ideas out so people who could benefit from them can start to use them. One of my long-term goals is to again become an active NAUI Instructor (I'm NAUI #2710), and try teaching this technique to disabled divers in the Portland, Oregon area. I have written to DiveHeart, but not received much of a response, so I have decided to post the concept directly here. Below you will see a "Hammerhead Unit Disclosure & Details" which describes the technique for divers, and at the end discusses the use of the technique for disabled divers.

I am especially interested to know whether there is interest in the Para-Sea BC concept in conjunction with the Hammerhead Unit.

I originally developed the Para-Sea BC as a PFD for the husband of my high school swim coach, when she asked for a PFD that did not ride up on her husband. From that modified harness, I made two prototype Para-Sea BCs, and patented them in the 1980s (Patent #4,623,316). This harness could be used with a Hoyer Lift to lift a person into and out of the pool/boat if it were built with robust enough components. (I actually used it to pull me out of the water, but because the buckle systems are plastic, I would want to upgrade that before trying it on others.)

Please take a look and give me some feedback as to whether it is worth pursuing these ideas with disabled divers.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP, CIH, MSPH

Attachments

• Hammerhead Unit Disclosure & Details.pdf
    509.4 KB · Views: 186
  • ParaSea BC Diagrams.jpg
    ParaSea BC Diagrams.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 68
  • ParaSea.jpg
    ParaSea.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Para-Sea Instructions.pdf
    9.8 MB · Views: 132
I am a bit disappointed that no one has even bothered to read and comment here except NFCNaiad. Any other thoughts?

SeaRat

I read it and found it intriguing. I don't have much to add. It seems to me that further development would require fieldwork more than anything.

I read it and found it intriguing. I don't have much to add. It seems to me that further development would require fieldwork more than anything.
Yes, I understand that, but I have had a difficult time finding someone to work with on it who has these kinds of disabilities. I have recently made an acquaintance with a military guy who may be helping me with this this coming fall or winter though.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom