New symptom after recompression therapy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, here is a question quite concerning me. I was got hit by DCS in Malaysia around one month ago. The symptom is not very sever, only include some dizziness and mild joint pain. So it took me some time to realize it may be DCS after my flying back to China. I got several hyperbaric therapy (three 5 hr treatment and 4 short treatment) but symptoms seemed not to improve obviously. My doctor explained it might be the delay of my treatment (my 1st treatment was 6 days post my last dive) and the residual symptoms may heal over time.
However, after one month passed, I still feel dizziness and there are some new symptoms occurring -- my toes and fingers started to tingle. Is it common any new symptoms will occur one month post the hit? Should I go back for the treatment (although my doctor does not think I need to...)?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi zhangzhao,

Although the description of the original symptoms is suggestive, there may be some uncertainty as to whether or not they were in fact DCS-related.

This almost surely is the case with the more recent symptoms as in the absence of additional scuba there is no DCI-associated reason to expect the development of new symptoms, e.g., tingling of the toes & fingers, one month post-event.

Regarding more recompression, that the original symptoms seemed to show no meaningful improvement with a “three 5 hr & 4 short” treatment protocol strongly suggests that they are unlikely to improve with additional hyperbaric therapy now. The same would be predicted for the recent onset of abnormal sensations in the fingers & toes.

However, this does not mean that they should be ignored. The physician is correct that certain residual symptoms from an incident of DCS may heal over time, and that there appears to have been no resolution in the dizziness (the status of the joint pain is not clear at present) over a period of an entire month suggests that they may not be DCS-related. It would be prudent to rule out other causes for the complete symptom complex.

Best of luck,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.​

Hi Zhangzhao,

I agree with DocV. It is unlikely that these new symptoms are related to any DCS incident that you may have had. I recommend you get evaluated by a physician.

Best regards,
DDM

Hello Zhangzhao:

As suggested by the previous responders, it is doubtful that a gas phase remains in your tissues this late in the progression and thus HBO would do little good. It is common to think that any problem is DCS related when it follows a dive, however, one month later is too long.

It would be wise to have your dizziness and joint pain investigated without a focus on DCS. This was also suggested by the above responders.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hi zhangzhao1989
Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope things are improving and that you have found a good doctor to work with. I have written a post previously about my personal experienc that you may be interested in, so i won't go into detail here.
One thing I did want to comment on though is the symptoms 'appearing' later. Is it possible that you did not notice these before? I know that when the left half of my face was numb, I did notice that my left eye was kind of dry, but dismissed that as I was too focused on the other freaky things happening to my body. As my numbing has gone, and I am functioning more normally i now find that when i tire out my eye tires out- just a thought.
As the docs above have said, get yourself to a good doctor. Find one that is thorough in their examinations, takes time to listen to you and to understand what you are experiencing, and also explains what is happening to your body.
Best of luck, take it easy on yourself and try to have faith in your body's ability to heal itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom