New Tank Valve Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by NetDoc

As for having the shop do this with an inspection, I concur. You need it vised anyway, and if you don't have the silicone/krystolube for the threads you would be better off taking it to a shop that does.

I realise that I'm "butting-in", but...guilty as charged. :wink:

Wreckwriter:
I think "vised" used above refered to a visual inspection, not a vise.

NetDoc:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Jarhead

and I apologise if my use of "jargon" has clouded the issue. Vised should have been written Visually Inspected or possible VISed to be a bit clearer. Sorry about the confusion. Sharp mind, Jarhead.

Originally posted by NetDoc
is acptured, ....

ummm - is that like that chinese medicine where they stick you with needles??

Can you translate for the mechanically challenged?

Thanks...

Just funnin. Thank ya'll for the information. As I can see, this is like many topics on the board and subject to much debate.

As far as my question goes, I am all set. I bought the tank from an LDS here in Dallas but a different LDS than I frequent. (My regular LDS did not have what I wanted in stock and I wanted to dive it the next day, so..) I bought it on Saturday to dive with on Sunday. I didn't have time to stay and have it filled, filled it at the lake the next day. Plus, the guy gave me a great deal on the tank, matched Abysmal's current sales price and as it was already about 10minutes past his closing time, I think we both were ready to get on our way.

Anyway, they put the valve on and did the visual. He explained as he put it in, real casually, that you jusr hand tighten and give it a bump. But without pressure in it yet, the valve just fealt way too loose. As I am not one to ever accept anything blindly, I decided to check his info against ya'll expertise. Which once again, has seemed to worked very well. As soon as I filled it at the lake on Sunday, it was rock solid tight. Self tightening at its finest.

Thank ya'll

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom