New tech diver - deco regulators questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not dive SM, but I do use a deco regulator on regular basis (Extend Range and Normoxic Trimix) : an old Aqualung Calpyso Nitrox, which I use between 25 and 6m (according to the dive planning and mixes available). It's sturdy, reliable, easy to service, quite popular in Europe and around the Med, so you should be able to find one second hand at a reasonable price. I got mine that way.

IMHO I would not worry about trying to configure a left handed reg. Then ya got one odd ball reg to service which could be a PITA. All of my regs are from the same mfg. Which makes servicing easy.

Though it has some time, when I dived back mount and rigged two deco cylinders, one of the left and right both had std regs. Further, both regs were stowed/stored into the band around cylinder and not deployed until needed (opposed to around one's neck as described by the OP - which I think is confusing but perhaps that is unique to side mounting).

I do not dive SM, but I do use a deco regulator on regular basis (Extend Range and Normoxic Trimix) : an old Aqualung Calpyso Nitrox, which I use between 25 and 6m (according to the dive planning and mixes available). It's sturdy, reliable, easy to service, quite popular in Europe and around the Med, so you should be able to find one second hand at a reasonable price. I got mine that way.

I see lots of Calypso regulators on ebay up for silly low prices (like $40 for first + second), but they're all yoke mount - I was told by my instructor to stay away from yoke when tech diving.

Though it has some time, when I dived back mount and rigged two deco cylinders, one of the left and right both had std regs. Further, both regs were stowed/stored into the band around cylinder and not deployed until needed (opposed to around one's neck as described by the OP - which I think is confusing but perhaps that is unique to side mounting).

Good heavens no, I'm not carrying it deployed - that'd be a great way to end up breathing oxygen on the bottom. It's carried with the reg and hose stowed into cylinder band, but when doing the gas switch, I was taught to check depth, MOD and pressure, deploy the reg, show the cylinder label and the deployed reg to the buddy and get confirmation, then pass the hose behind my neck, open the valve, do a jellyfish purge and put the deco reg into my mouth.

I think that I'll hold off on this for a few days - if the federal government decides to close all borders and I get stuck here, I'll order a left-handed RG5400. If they don't, I will pick up a regular one at Leisure Pro towards the end of my stay. Meanwhile, I will keep monitoring ebay - I got a used RG5400 for $150 there, maybe another will pop up.

I see lots of Calypso regulators on ebay up for silly low prices (like $40 for first + second), but they're all yoke mount - I was told by my instructor to stay away from yoke when tech diving.

Mine is DIN mounted, the price was indeed silly and included SPG, which I had to change only last summer. The new SPG cost me almost as much as I paid for the whole outfit initially. If I were you I would keep searching for it on ebay, I got mine there.

Thing is, I'm in US for at most two more weeks, possibly just one week if I wrap the work project faster than expected. Looking for rare vintage stuff is not really an option.....Maybe I should just give up on a left-handed version and run the hose straight... is this really a big deal as far as safety goes?

I would not be worried about the left hand 2nd stage, I don't know if I've ever actually seen someone using one for deco. I would send a PM to @couv about the 109 2nd stage. I'm sure he has one he could send you and he is a completely honest and reliable guy. MK2s are all over the place, but another good, reasonable choice would be a MK10. I just like the MK2 for oxygen because it is SO easy to O2 clean. There is a tiny teflon seat and a single static o-ring subjected to high pressure O2 and a very simple air path.

Thank you @halocline for the alert.

@Barmaglot Yes, I have a variety of MK10s, MK2s, 109/BA/G250ies I'm willing to sell. At this time, I have only one DIN fitting I can install. However they are available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DYVG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for less than $40. I can order and install for the price of the fitting or you can order and install them yourself. If you're interested PM me, preferably with an email address, and we can work something out.

Cheers,

Couv

...tech certified...sidemount only...should 100% O2 go on the right side, with a left-hand regulator and the hose running behind my neck, in a mirror image of my left deco tank?
. Congratulations on the tech diver certification. I also dive sidemount in cold water. My tech diving course was taught by an instructor wearing sidemount. I don’t always carry 100% but when I do is hung on the right side. I was taught to place deco tanks above the main tanks. In my collection of tanks, the deco bottles have all the same RH valves and I prefer to have the hoses stowed on the top of the tank. This means the right valve faces in. I pull the tank out and regulator out to show my Buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom