New To Bp/w, I Have Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveJo127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So recently I decided to try switching from a jacket to a bp/w, since I'm interested in getting cave certified someday. I have a SS backplate with a simple 2' webbing harness, and a 32lbs single tank wing. I dive AL80s and wear a 7mm fullsuit since I typically dive in Florida springs and local lakes.

Currently I have two weight pockets on my cam bands, but it won't hold enough lead to sink me. I don't want to put more weight on my tank as too much back weight messes with my trim. So my first question is, how much lead do you typically need to sink with a 7mm? Do you wear it on a belt or on the harness webbing?

Also, my second question, what is the easiest way to put the harness on? I was struggling with it a bit at my friend's pool today lol.

In fresh water an SS BP plus 8-10lbs in trim weight pockets on the tank band will be sufficient for many in a 7mm. If not I'd put additional weight in trim weight pockets on my harness b/c I do not like weight belts.

Dive Rite, and there may be others, makes a quick release weight pocket if you want to go that route.
Depending on the manufacture of your plate, Deep Sea Supply manufactures additional weight plates that can bolt on to your plate. DeepSeaSupply - Back Plates

If you're struggling to get the harness on I suspect the shoulder straps are too tight. If you can't get a full fist between the strap and your chest, there's your sign. Here is a descent guide on adjusting the harness. BAUE How To Size a Backplate

Putting it on:
Set it on the ground, sit down in front of it, reach back with both hands and put them through the webbing, pull them forward and up ensuring the webbing doesn't flip.

Once the webbing is secure on your shoulders, lean and flip your body so you are on your hands and knees, from here you should be able to push yourself upright, stand, and buckle up.

I prefer a weight belt.

Putting it on:
Set it on the ground, sit down in front of it, reach back with both hands and put them through the webbing, pull them forward and up ensuring the webbing doesn't flip.

Once the webbing is secure on your shoulders, lean and flip your body so you are on your hands and knees, from here you should be able to push yourself upright, stand, and buckle up.

I prefer a weight belt.
One of these makes it almost too easy:

85f337cd-6548-4bcf-8772-90dd7348fecb_400.jpg

Husky X-Workhorse Workbench-17185155 - The Home Depot

...if you've got one. I usually use my car.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm leaning toward putting pockets at the waist of my harness. If you're using a weight belt, how do you arrange it with the harness? Does it sit above or below the waist of your harness?

It varies. Some people want the weight belt easy to release and some want it hard to release. Hard to release it goes on before you secure the crotch strap. If you want it easy to release you want the weight belt on top of the crotch strap. Remember to adjust (tighten) the weight belt once you are in the water.

I put the weight belt on first (it has Velcro pockets for the weights), then put on the harness. Generally the weight belt sits below the belt of the harness.

You can also thread five or ten pounds onto the right side of the waist strap. When I do vacation dives, that's where I put the five pounds I need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom