New to Diving..Looking For BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiro_Afila:
Are there any tests I can do to insure that the 26lbs of lift would be enough, without having the BP/W here with me. Thanks!

If the information you provided in your first post is accurate you have already done the test.

Tobin

OK thanks. I just took the statement

"When would a 26 lbs wing be inadequate? If you changed to a more buoyant undergarment. That means that your suit could potentially loose more buoyancy, and it also means that your would need more ballast to start with."

to mean that I was very close to the edge of "enough" with the 26#. I am guessing that I had better be safe, and go with a 30# wing. Sorry for my confusion..and thanks for your patience.

Tiro_Afila:
OK thanks. I just took the statement

to mean that I was very close to the edge of "enough" with the 26#. I am guessing that I had better be safe, and go with a 30# wing. Sorry for my confusion..and thanks for your patience.

With a suit that's +18 and a rig that's -18 a LCD 20 would IMO be a little to close to the edge.

A 26 lbs wing provides a comfortable margin. I want people to understand the reasoning, and under what conditions my recommendations would no longer apply.

If you change to a much more buoyant undergarment (hi loft etc.) or change to a large volume negative tank then the 26 might no longer be enough.

Tobin

I use a 30lb wing, 100HP steel tank and a DiveRite harness. I have attached 4lb of lead to the rig and carry 28lb of weight on my belt. (ScubaPro soft weight belt). I dive wet (7mm full, hood, gloves and boots). The 26 DSS wing is a great wing and Tobin know of what he speaks. To your question, the 26 will be more than adequate for your needs.

Dave

Great. Thanks for the info. I really like the design of the Taurus, and would rather stick to its full tube design, rather then go to the horseshoe design of the LCD. I think the breakpoint for me between another brand I have been looking at (the Oxycheq) and the DSS wing is the willingness of Tobin to explain so much to Noobs like myself. Thanks again for all your help, and I look forward to trying out this wing soon.

Tiro_Afila:
Great. Thanks for the info. I really like the design of the Taurus, and would rather stick to its full tube design, rather then go to the horseshoe design of the LCD. I think the breakpoint for me between another brand I have been looking at (the Oxycheq) and the DSS wing is the willingness of Tobin to explain so much to Noobs like myself. Thanks again for all your help, and I look forward to trying out this wing soon.

A friend of mine and me both use the LCD 30 wing, and I'm into photography. No problems there, so don't be put off by the horseshoe design, it takes little getting used to, but it's all logical about where the air goes to dump it - the highest point of the wing in any given moment. Remember this and use it to your advantage. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom