New To Diving (Oxygen Question for experienced divers!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*I think @uncfnp did something like that for a medical reason
tbone is right but I did it for entirely different reasons.

If you are going to do this do it right. Consult your doc to see if your planned self HBOT could even remotely be beneficial. If so then get the experience and training to do it correctly. That means at the very least an Advanced Nitrox course and the dive experience and skills to do it safely.

Last edited:
For what condition or conditions? I didn't see where the OP said what it was for, though I could have missed it. For at least one condition I know of (TBI), I have read a study suggesting otherwise. Citation, please? (Seriously, if there is a contrary study for TBI I am very interested.)
This is what it's for TBI and no it's not snake oil.

tbone is right but I did it for entirely different reasons.

If you are going to do this do it right. Consult your doc to see if your planned self HOBT could even remotely be beneficial. If so then get the experience and training to do it correctly. That means at the very least an Advanced Nitrox course and the dive experience and skills to do it safely.
If you don't mind me asking what did you do or what was it for? Did it work or come across any problems?

This is what it's for TBI and no it's not snake oil.

I was not suggesting it was snake oil. The US Army did the study I read, IIRC (always a dangerous assumption), though I can't find it quickly right now, and it appears that the USAF followed up, with others. The Army(?) study suggested it was effective, and not only that, effective even on old injuries. I have a strong interest in this topic for reasons I won't go into here, but I will say I have never had a TBI.

FWIW, the costs of getting an advanced Nitrox cert, the gear you need, and the gas, might very well exceed the cost of a few HBOT treatments, depending on where you live. It's worth adding up the comparative costs. And of course if you plan to push the limits, a chamber is much, much safer as others have said.

I understand what you want to do.. But you have no way to safety do it... You also don't have the understanding of all the things that can go wrong..

I built a in ground pool to do this for my MS... It's a very big project and not cheap.. I will not help you ...

Jim

For what condition or conditions? I didn't see where the OP said what it was for, though I could have missed it. For at least one condition I know of (TBI), I have read a study suggesting otherwise. Citation, please? (Seriously, if there is a contrary study for TBI I am very interested.)

Edit: The NIH now says (this year) that the jury is out but it seems as though for cases more severe than "mild" there is some evidence that HBOT is helpful:

Is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Effective for Traumatic Brain Injury? A Rapid Evidence Assessment of the Literature and Recommendations for the Field
I hadn't seen any new evidence to support the use of hbot. The misses (Er doc) was quoting a report from her university hospital that found scant evidence to support the use of this treatment for many of the suggested ailments. But this isn't her field and is not current in hyperbaric medicine. Thanks for correcting me.

If you don't mind me asking what did you do or what was it for? Did it work or come across any problems?
It is an effort to prevent a dive related issue, skin bends, and to give me easier access to surface O2 if needed. As I said, completely different reason but the steps taken to get to that point would be similar.

TBI? TBI itself comes with risk of seizure. To do this you have to make sure the benefits outweigh the risk.

Consider asking a mod to move this thread to dive medicine where you might get more info specific to your issue and any possible benefit from the level of O2 therapy available within the accepted limits of in water treatment.

Last edited:
Just bought some second hand gear and about to do my courses on SDA.
I am wanting to dive in an unconventional way; for health benefits. I am trying to replicate HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen therapy) in a more cost effective way. Basically what it is, is breathing 100% oxygen in a chamber at an increased atmospheric pressure. But it is expensive. My plan is to get certified to be a nitrox diver, dive to the correct ATA with 100% oxygen (or as close to 100%) and stay stationary there. I won't be moving because I know that effects the oxygen levels in your body. So I am wondering as a non-experienced diver if this is a good or bad idea?
Thanks!

Hi Joe

So I am not here to judge you or lecture you. I will provide some Facts which you may utilize as you see fit.

The first two and most important facts to consider involve the physiology of oxygen exposure while diving. The first of these is that there is a considerable difference in response to hyperbaric oxygen while wet than while in a chamber. The reasons for this are poorly understood but may be related to the mammalian diving reflex. In very broad terms the likelihood of adverse reactions to hyperbaric oxygen are greater while submerged than while dry. The second fact of importance is that adverse reactions to oxygen while diving are frequently fatal, because they involve convulsions, which can lead to inhalation of water as well as precluding effective self-rescue.

In non-emergency situations the customary limit for technical divers during decompression stops where there is no movement or activity to exacerbate the risks is a partial pressure of 1.6 atmospheres. For divers who lack training in decompression procedures, or for technical divers during non-decompression portions of the dive, the usual limit is 1.4 atmospheres with some training agencies recommending a more conservative limit of 1.3 atmospheres. There are time limits that apply at these outer limits of exposure.

For divers without technical training and equipment, the richest oxygen concentration that is considered suitable is 40% O2 (EAN40). Dive shops that offer nitrox blending will typically not blend above 40% for a customer who lacks the training and experience to handle the hazards of such a mix. This is also true for 100% oxygen fills into scuba cylinders.

The training required to perform dives with richer mixtures is demanding and typically only offered to accomplished divers who have already developed their skills throughout a year or more of frequent diving. The exact course names and requirements vary among agencies however you may wish to look at the TDI Advanced Nitrox class or the PADI Tech 45 course for an idea of what is usually required.

Returning to EAN40 dives, with a cylinder of EAN40 you would reach a partial pressure of 1.0 atmospheres at a depth of approximately 50 feet and would have to dive somewhat deeper for the partial pressure to be hyperbaric, with a partial pressure of 1.4 atmospheres (for example) being reached at 82 feet. A question to consider is whether you have ready access to dive sites of this depth.

If you were to obtain 100% oxygen fills, the first question to consider would be whether your equipment is suited for oxygen service. While there are exceptions, most regulators and most cylinders are not suitable for oxygen service when sold, and second hand gear of unknown provenance cannot be considered oxygen safe at the time of purchase even if it was manufactured for such service. Typically it is possible to prepare a cylinder, valve, and regulator set for oxygen service through scrupulous cleaning and upgrading of certain critical parts, but doing so is a job for an experienced technician and may not be possible for some gear. The second question to consider would be training, since even if you were able to obtain fills, the hazards of diving on 100% oxygen are great, particularly for inexperienced divers whose buoyancy control is questionable, or whose mastery of emergency procedures is in doubt.

As one example, I have not and do not dive mixes over EAN40 despite having 100% oxygen readily available to me; while relatively new to diving I have made perhaps 125 dives over the last year or two, and have not taken any technical training. Nor have I or do I exceed an oxygen partial pressure of 1.4 atmospheres.

Best wishes however you decide to proceed.

It sounds like you have made up your mind and you are looking for approval from the community. It looks to me that IF you go through all of the training and experience necessary, AND you obtain all of the proper equipment, AND you find a more experienced buddy, who will dive with you and accept that kind of responsibility, AND you have the proper crews standing by on the surface, AND you have your doctor's agreement that self-HBOT is appropriate, AND you jump probably half a dozen more hurdles that I can't think of at the moment, THEN the community (well, some of the community) would say go for it, good luck, and where do we send the flowers.

I hope the multitude of VERY experienced divers on here who are saying "NO, IT'S A BAD IDEA" to your original question convinces you to reconsider this a thousand times before proceeding and then reconsider another thousand times before actually doing anything, and another thousand ... You get the point. It's a bad idea.

Good luck with whatever you diving career brings to you.

Cheers, M²

Back
Top Bottom