New to Diving- Uncertified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antonio Lockett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Greetings!

I am registered to do my certification course this upcoming month and I’m interested in buying my own gear at some point. I have been looking around and what I want to know what would you buy first?

Also, I have a budget of $1500 usd. Where would you spend the bulk of your money? I already own fins, snorkel, and mask. Thanks!

i would wait until after youve taken the class to buy equipment.

they will have you try some different gear and youll be able to get some first hand experience and get some insight from your instructor as to what to buy.

after certification, my first purchase was a wetsuit.....renting a wetsuit is honestly kinda gross, and i got my own ASAP.

then i would invest in a computer

after that i would recommend getting your own Regulators.

then i would look into a BCD

First welcome to Scubaboard and diving. I usually advise buying a wetsuit fist. Most stores will have package deals to buy a BCD and regulator.

Don't buy anything until your cert is done. After that, the first thing to buy (given you already have a mask, snorkel and fins) is a dive computer. Don't go by someone else's computer - you should have your own.

The bulk of your money will be spent (likely) on regs. But unless you are very small or very large, you should be an easy fit for rental gear like BCD, wetsuit, etc.

I just became certified in October. After certification, you should be able to wrangle a deal with your dive shop for a package of BC, octopus and regulators, and 3-gauge console for about that. Then immediately test them out in confined water. My shop had a 30-day trial period. You didn't mention booties (an additional $60-70). Are your fins open or closed heel? I had a budget of $2,000 and purchased those components as a package, so that led to a discount (many shops do that). I also opted for a computer, regulator bag, signal tube, and 3mm Henderson Thermaxx wetsuit; those were optional, but were offered at a discount.

As I recently posted, if I opted to acquire equipment piece-by-piece, I would have next purchased a regulator, as advised by a veteran diver. It's the thing that keeps you alive down there.

I would say dive some stuff. Learn to dive first, get connected to the local dive community, and dive often. I am certain there are Florida dive groups that you can connect with. Once you meet people there will be opportunity to borrow different things. Backplate/Wing, BCD, different reg configs, etc...this is the best way to really feel the difference.

As a new diver, I would spend the money in the following order.

Computer
Wetsuit
Regulator
BCD
Tanks

Given your location, you may or may not need to get a wetsuit right away, unless you plan on spring dives or diving during the winter.

I'd start off with a computer. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but if possible look for one with some sort of logging interface. Bluetooth is preferred, but cable will do for now. Factor in the cost of the computer if you need one, as that may make up the difference between a cabled and bluetooth version. When I first started diving, I didn't have a computer. My dive logging habits weren't the best, and I've lost some paper logs through the years. With my first computer, it had logging ability, but I never had the cable. So, there is a significant gap in my current log. Computer will help you real-time on a dive. It shouldn't happen, but if you were to overstay your NDL, the computer can get you to the surface safely. Look for one with at least 2 buttons. The single button models can be hard to cycle through the menus.

For a wetsuit, fit is important. Also important to know your cold tolerance. I have a couple in varying thickness, but really only use my thin one most of the time. IIRC, it's 2mm, and I've used it in the Gulf down to lower 60's (with a 1mm rashguard).

For regulators, any regulator will work. A balanced regulator will work for now and later, while a cheap unbalanced reg may not be ideal as your diving gets deeper. Steer clear of the bottom of the line, and there is no need for top of the line titanium versions.

For BCDs, rent for a while. Try to rent different types (jacket, back inflate, backplate) if possible to get a better idea for what you like best.

The bulk of your $1500 will be spent on the regulator and BCD.

I'd absolutely recommend waiting for now and/or check Craigslist, Ebay, Facebook, etc. for the used market. Lots of students or newly certified divers buy a bunch of gear then never use it again. If you do end up buying used, don't use it until you've had your dive shop service (especially regulators) it, so factor that into your cost estimates.

Greetings!

I am registered to do my certification course this upcoming month and I’m interested in buying my own gear at some point. I have been looking around and what I want to know what would you buy first?

Also, I have a budget of $1500 usd. Where would you spend the bulk of your money? I already own fins, snorkel, and mask. Thanks!

Invest your money in a dive trip. if you find cheap airfare to cancun or coz, you could probably do a week's worth of diving for around $2,000 if you stay at a $20 per night airbnb off the strip and eat quacamole and tacos for basically every meal. i can personally verify this budget.

oh, and used regs are totally fine. just have them checked out by your lds and serviced if needed. they are basically indestructible.

I'd suggest crossing the state and getting trained by Ryan @custureri. Top notch instructor (he's helped me grow a lot as an instructor, probably my best mentor). He will also be able to advise you on really good gear.

Back
Top Bottom