New to Diving- Uncertified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about buying a ton of gear when you first start out is that you don't know what you don't know. I bought a lot of (very nice) gear from my LDS when I first got OW certified in 2017 because I didn't know better. And honestly it was all perfect recreational gear! Except I quickly realized that what I bought did not fit my goals for diving long term. Within a year I had sold almost all of it and bought essentially an entirely new set of equipment, up to and including my mask and fins. Most of it was basically acquired on the internet rather than at my LDS.

Funny enough, the only thing I haven't replaced is my computer. I'm one of those weird people that actually bought a Perdix before I was even certified. I didn't know much but what I did read had me convinced that it was the best. Still the best purchase I've made. Buy once, cry once! :)

I had a ton of information typed out about all my specific gear but that's not really relevant. I would just echo what others have said:

(1) Wait a bit. Don't buy a whole set of gear until you've figured out what you want.
(2) Realize that your LDS is not the only option (Deep 6 and Dive Gear Express are fantastic companies and so easy to work with). This was a big one for me! I feel like I am still discovering diving products and websites all the time. And stuff is often way cheaper online.
(3) Don't be afraid to buy used. People told me to buy used, I was scared and didn't listen. I regretted that later.
(4) In order of importance: computer, wetsuit, regs, BCD. $1500 will get you a very, very nice computer and wetsuit, and to be honest I'd be happy just diving those and renting everything else if I had to. Get an inexpensive computer like the new Deep 6 comp and that's probably enough to buy everything.

Good luck with getting certified!

If this person ends up enjoying diving why wouldn’t a perdix be one of the best purchases one could make? You wont replace it, will log everything you ever do in detail. Sure, its geared more towards tech diving but will help get you out of trouble blowing your ndl in a simpler fashion than any recreational focused computer. Could pick up a used one and the nice thing about shearwater is they arent throw away devices.

I would say dive some stuff. Learn to dive first, get connected to the local dive community, and dive often. I am certain there are Florida dive groups that you can connect with. Once you meet people there will be opportunity to borrow different things. Backplate/Wing, BCD, different reg configs, etc...this is the best way to really feel the difference.

This try different things out it is cheaper to buy once then replace things, a lot of us made this mistake when starting, myself included.

I would go wetsuit especially if your an odd size.

Then try different BC types try counsel and wrist mount computers see which you prefer.

Don't buy anything until your cert is done. After that, the first thing to buy (given you already have a mask, snorkel and fins) is a dive computer. Don't go by someone else's computer - you should have your own.

The bulk of your money will be spent (likely) on regs. But unless you are very small or very large, you should be an easy fit for rental gear like BCD, wetsuit, etc.

BTW The the help of an active & experienced diver, regs do not need to be bought new. Lots of people with flush wallets get all excited about scuba, then get all excited about something else after less than 50 dives, and the gear comes up for sale at exceptionally reasonable prices. Good equipment lasts a whole lot longer than 2-3 rys and 5-50 dives. I bought my 1st set brand new and several since then at 40% or less than what I paid for new. Ditto on the BCD. Very important that I said with the help of an active and experienced diver.

A dive computer can also be as expensive or inexpensive as you wish. Yeah the Shearwaters are wonderful and I even paid for one too (used of course) & do love it, BUT I also plan to leave it at home for recreational foreign trips and take something worth vastly less that I don't have to worry about losing, breaking or having it stolen. Make a selection based on your own style.

If this person ends up enjoying diving why wouldn’t a perdix be one of the best purchases one could make? You wont replace it, will log everything you ever do in detail. Sure, its geared more towards tech diving but will help get you out of trouble blowing your ndl in a simpler fashion than any recreational focused computer. Could pick up a used one and the nice thing about shearwater is they arent throw away devices.

Dusty...

Not taking anything away from a high end computer...or a high end anything...I think the best parting information for the OP is to wait until certified before spending any money...

He may find that diving is not for him...or a previously unknown medical condition may surface during instruction that may prevent him from continuing...ears/vertigo/claustrophobia...to name a few...

Right now he has $1500. burning a hole in his pocket...and he's as likely to make a bad purchase decision as he is a good one...

I'm sure his instructor can get him fitted with everything thing he'll need to get certified...

The last thing he needs to have rolling around in his head is that he needs a $2000. computer...

I've been diving since 1981...never had a $2000. computer...and that's not likely to change any time soon...

W.M...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom