Suggestion New to diving vs. New to diving PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The_DivePirate

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We seem to have a forum for newbies to ask Q's about there issues as new divers, and we have a forum for instructors to talk with other instructors to talk of issues and philosiphies. But nowhere for Divers that are venturing into the professional end of diving, whether it be training to be a DM or all the way to instructor status. It would be nice to talk to others on the board that have or are having some of the same issues other trainees are having. A place to go to talk about what to maybe expect, and talk about ways to handle certian situations that recently happen during the training of new divers. I have just made the jump and would like to talk with others in my same situation. When I was first starting scuba, I came here for valid/supportive info. (fishlips_1) I've been very busy expanding my diving career and have been away for to long!! But, I'm back to help and be helped by other divers. Had been to other sites but SCUBABOARD is by far the best!!! Maybe it could be called on the PRO ladder
or something like that. Just a thought.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

Joe-Diver:
One of the first things I had to do was send in an application with $15....they issue a pre-membership number and then when I finish I send in the final application, deducting the $15 and they send credentials.

Any other PADI DM Candidates do this?:confused:

Nope.

Joe-Diver:
One of the first things I had to do was send in an application with $15....they issue a pre-membership number and then when I finish I send in the final application, deducting the $15 and they send credentials.

FLEECING, freekin' FLEECING!

I new high in low from PADI.

Tevis

Joe-Diver:

Must be a Texas thing, never heard of it before, maybe I'll call PADI tomorrow andask , I have a couple of other questions to ask about so while i'm at it.

So, when all this starts, is it going to be a mad dash to the sign up sheet? Or are a few of us gonna be grand fathered in? And when is all of this going down? Not to be greedy, as the pirate would intend, but I'd like to kick this thing off if I could?!!!
And again, a HUGE HAND TO ALL OF THOSE AT SB!!!!!!:wink:

Dive safe/train hard,
Joe

Archangel:
FLEECING, freekin' FLEECING!

I new high in low from PADI.

Tevis

Well, I wouldn't call $15 fleecing....not like I'm gonna have to live on instant mashed potatoes for a week because of it.....

The_DivePirate:
So, when all this starts, is it going to be a mad dash to the sign up sheet? Or are a few of us gonna be grand fathered in? And when is all of this going down? Not to be greedy, as the pirate would intend, but I'd like to kick this thing off if I could?!!!
And again, a HUGE HAND TO ALL OF THOSE AT SB!!!!!!:wink:

Dive safe/train hard,
Joe

I already pm'd El Orans with the requested info....so.....

Not to keen on "RUN DMC" though.....

Run DMC is now open for business!

Please note:
It's not necessary for current DMs, Instructors etc. to join the DMC group.

They already are allowed access.

Joe-Diver:

It's a Texas thing, developed because of some obscure training laws through Texas Education Agency (TEA). The application is called "PRE-DIVEMASTER MEMBER APPLICATION FOR TEXAS ONLY."

From the application: Effective July 15, 1986, any diver in the state of Texas wishing to take a PADI Divemaster course must become a member of PADI prior to the beginning of the course, rather than after the course, as has been the policy previously. This initial level of membership in PADI is offered to those persons previously certified as PADI Rescue Divers. The benefit of this membership is that such members may participate in courses of education offered by the association to its members. Please be reminded that nonmembers of PADI in the state of Texas may not enroll in Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, Instructor Development Courses, or Instructor Examinations (IDC/IEs). This procedure is in accordance with, and is required by, the Texas Education Agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom