new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaugustino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello, I'm about to take part in a discovering scuba program. Though i have a physical disability and don't walk much anymore. Just curious of what type of equipment i should use. I have a few questions?

Before i begin, medically I'm cleared.

I cant bite for a long period of time. just drives me crazy. So a full face mask would solve that.? do you still breath through your mouth or nose or either.

Cant think of anything else. Any input would be great

Welcome to the board.

Hi kaugustino,

Yes, a full face mask obviates the need to hold a second stage in the mouth.

Before making such a purchase, however, it may be worth trying a potentially much cheaper and simpler remedy in the form of a custom mouthpiece such as the Seacure - Custom Mouthpiece.

Regards,

DocVikingo

PS: Remember to take your written medical clearance with you when you go for the course.

Welcome to the board and to diving. Any adaptations of equipment that might need to be made because of your situation should be relatively easy to do. Just check with your instructor. If we can help you in any way, don't hesitate to ask.

I am of course assuming your instructors are HSA or IAHD certified instructors. Any certified SCUBA instructor can teach you to dive, but should they? You don't know what you don't know. An instructor who has been trained by HSA (the original) or IAHD is IMHO better prepared to train the adaptive diver.

I agree with Pasley.

Thanks to everyone thats posted

Thats very true, but so far atleast for HSA certified ive only found 2 in my area. Though its a few hours drive away. At this point im looking at a local dive shop to try it out first. Then ill see if its gonna work out

ive now fixed my profile to show were i live. heh

Currently talking with 2 HSA members who are close by. got to call one of them up to start the process and see. thanks for the input so far.

Good. Glad your going to link up with some locals. I attended a Dive Professional convention in 2008 (DEMA) and helped out at the HSA booth. There I talked to several instructors who were not HSA or IAHD but had taught adaptive students. They all reported issues that were a direct result of them not being trained. The old "they did not know what they did not know". There are over 3000 HSA instructors around the world. You can find them in places like Tonga, Finland, Russia, Germany the USA and even Canada.

Canada is of course a big place with much of the population in Ontario or Quebec area and lots of open spaces everywhere else. So I imagine just finding a dive shop in Alberta can be a challenge. If your local dive shop does not have someone trained, I will be hosting an HSA instructor certification course March 12-15 in the Los Angeles CA area. They are welcome to attend and get certified by HSA. To quote a graduate from the course we hosted last June "Hardest training I have ever done" "Really caused me to step up my game and will make me a better instructor to my regular students".

Enjoy the diving. When you are ready to dive Catalina California, give me a call.

Last edited:
Have you tried ocean sports?? I think you might be able to find some help there. They are on Whyte ave just east of the tracks on the south side of the road. I dont know if they do the HSA thing, but they should know who would, or know someone who knows someone. lol
best of luck in your venture.

Back
Top Bottom