new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried ocean sports?? I think you might be able to find some help there. They are on Whyte ave just east of the tracks on the south side of the road. I dont know if they do the HSA thing, but they should know who would, or know someone who knows someone. lol
best of luck in your venture.

Already have found a place to do the discover scuba at. Ive talked with ocean sports on some gear type questions. I would have gone through them as well. but i havnt decided what im going to do. Or who ill stick with. Thanks for the info. ill consider it

Dry suit gloves are essentially rubber gloves from the kitchen (and many divers use rubber gloves from the local hardware store) with liners (gloves) worn under them usually made of wool or some other insulating material. They keep the hands warm by having a layer of air next to the body. I am not aware of any dry gloves made for wetsuits as you need an air source to add and remove air as you descend/ascend.

I don't recall you saying if you were diving dry or wet. But as, if I remember correctly, you are learning to scuba I will assume wet. The thumb placement in your photos is challenging and may require a custom glove. That would involve either talking to a glove manufacturer or perhaps (better yet) a local dive suit manufacturer. If there is much diving in your area there is often a local custom wetsuit manufacturer too.

Probably wetsuit. Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few emails i'm waiting to hear back on. Hopefully with a result. Thanks again. If anyone else has a suggestion feel free to post.

Hello, I'm about to take part in a discovering scuba program. Though i have a physical disability and don't walk much anymore. Just curious of what type of equipment i should use. I have a few questions?

Before i begin, medically I'm cleared.

I cant bite for a long period of time. just drives me crazy. So a full face mask would solve that.? do you still breath through your mouth or nose or either.

Cant think of anything else. Any input would be great

Welcome aboard kaugustino.. It's nice to know that even though you have a physical disability you still want to go diving.:D

Probably wetsuit. Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few emails i'm waiting to hear back on. Hopefully with a result. Thanks again. If anyone else has a suggestion feel free to post.

I have some thoughts, but I would need to know more information:

What are the limitations of what you can and can't do with your hands?
Can you manipulate objects with your fingers?
Do you have any control of your thumbs?
Are you capable of donning gloves or other thermal protection for your hands?
How do you protect your hands from the cold today?

Has the dive shop you located allowed you to hold and/or manipulate any gear to see what you can do, even without gloves on? If so, what was your experience?

My thoughts are along the lines of combining two pairs of neoprene gloves with some creative cutting an application of aquaseal. One set of gloves would probably have to be extended length cold water gloves. The other pair could be a more normal set. The trick is ensuring that you can preserve some of the control of your hands and fingers that you have now. If you were an able body diver, I'd tell you that you will lose some, perhaps significant, dexterity with cold water gloves. I don't know how I would adapt that statement for you due to lack of information.

Hello

What are the limitations of what you can and can't do with your hands?
I can grab some things, cant make a fist though. Push buttons usually

Can you manipulate objects with your fingers?
Somewhat yes.
Do you have any control of your thumbs?
A little, but. not much. I can squeeze down on something if under my thumb with some force. not allot though

Are you capable of donning gloves or other thermal protection for your hands?
Usually yes, may require some help

How do you protect your hands from the cold today?
Custom made fleece gloves, fit is somewhat good. (Outdoor winter). Usually keep my hands in my jacket most of the time either way. Had frostbite when I was younger

Has the dive shop you located allowed you to hold and/or manipulate any gear to see what you can do, even without gloves on? If so, what was your experience?

Haven't tried yet. Though I know, using zippers and stuff that requires lifting my arm I wont be able to do all that well. as I don't have complete rotation of my shoulders, or the muscle to lift my arm up that high without some help.

The fleece gloves i do have are a little large. If they were a bit tighter i could do more. Your idea though is interesting.

Hey. I was just wondering, is asthma an issue in scuba diving? Cause I plan to go diving this summer, but I'm worried if my asthma will cause any problems? If asthma does present an issue, may I just ask concerning my limitations in the ocean? Do I need extra equipment? Thanks to anyone who answers! Much appreciated! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom