New to gopro, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We leave for the Keys in 2 weeks and my wife really wanted a camera for under water, video and stills. We got the go pro 7 black, super suit case and flip 7 filters. Any advice on which setting to use with which filter. Shooting video and pics is never been a hobby of ours so we are very new and welcome any tips. Thanks.

I have been practicing with GoPro 7, and i have to carefully check if I’m on photo or video or time delay. I suggest practicing while shallow snorkeling. If you can set up phone app for easier downloading it might be better. I have to drive home and connect cable to the computer. I did not care for the color correction of the flip filters, but up north i have green water and the flip filter turns it too red.
I also have not yet tried to use low light night setting, that is next.
I did get an excellent seahorse photo i posted on another thread.
I have i good wrist lanyard, and hold it in right hand, so i can hold flashlight in left hand.

Take lots of pictures on land to get used to the camera. That is, learn the camera without diving. Stick with video, that is what the GoPro is best at. When diving, stay shallow where there is plenty of light and the colors still have red in them. If you use the colored filters, make sure you are NOT shallow, or the results will be too red. Avoid being closer to about a foot or two from something unless you have a macro lens.

I agree with @tursiops on keeping it to video then pulling frames from it for pictures. I used to use a GoPro and that worked best. I suggest keeping the GoPro on a retractor as I have seen many things dropped when on the wrist even with a lanyard or keeper. If you are shallow they have the orangey filters for snorkeling. red should be for deeper or else as was mentioned, red city.

Green water will need magenta filters instead of red.

I noticed that even with a red filter, for blue water, it takes the GoPro a bit of time to adjust the balance. Basically, don't expect to just turn it on and have the video more in color than monochrome blue. Give it a few seconds to adjust to the filter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom