New (to me) dry suit happy dance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortis65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay,

You know how you find the oddest things on Craig's list? Well, one day I was just surfing, and I found a DUI CF200X (okay, bright rescue swimmer orange) for a very reasonable price, complete with liner and booties.

I had to check it out, and it looked in great shape, and fit really well. The guy who was selling it pretty much match me in size and shape.

Sold.

Well, I got a chance to do a pool dive in it yesterday, and other than having some challenges getting my weight dialed in (32 lbs seems way too much), no leaks, seems to fit well (without liner, the air bubble in the torso is odd).

I'll need to get comfortable with the neoprene wrist seals, but the fold over neck seal was great for me. (17.5" neck, 185lbs go figure)

I practiced my feet up scenario, hover, fin pivots, bcd off/on, hose release/attach drills, and all went well.

I will now be able to dive comfortably in our local reservoirs at a lovely 50F this summer.

Thus, the Happy Dance. :D

I love Great Deal stories, even if they are other people's! Good for you!

Something's missing that would help augment the excitement: How much did you pay? :D

The weighting does sound way too much for the suit alone without full undergarments.... Are you sure it's definitely CF200 and not full uncompressed neoprene?

Yep, the shifting of the air bubble can be pretty drastic when there's no undergarment to slow it down. :D

Have fun! You'll love being dry and warm! :)

Dave C

In the interest of full disclosure :), I paid $650 USD for the whole lot, which included a wet 7mm hood, steel tank banger, and a 30lb lift bag in addition to the suit, undergarment, and booties.

I've confirmed that it is in fact the CF200 crushed, and it is a real DUI suit with serial number and all, including those 'turbo soles'. I'm way sure I was overweighted as that bubble was pretty notable.

In the interest of full disclosure :), I paid $650 USD for the whole lot, which included a wet 7mm hood, steel tank banger, and a 30lb lift bag in addition to the suit, undergarment, and booties.

I've confirmed that it is in fact the CF200 crushed, and it is a real DUI suit with serial number and all, including those 'turbo soles'. I'm way sure I was overweighted as that bubble was pretty notable.

Just so you know, at 6'/180 I'm using 24.5 lb. at the start of the dive, 18 or so at the end (500 PSI) with my CF200X. This is in salt water, with a S/S BP/Wing (-6), Asahi steel HP 100 (-12.5/-5), reg (~ -2), and 4 lb. of lead. I've got turbosoles, and use a cheap Parkway fleece undergarment over an REI midweight zip-T, swim suit and thick synthetic hiker socks. So yeah, you were overweighted if you were in fresh water. Even if you are using an Al80 (-1.4,/+4.4), that would seem to be too much weight.

Guy

You got an excellent deal!

One more question; what undergarment came with it?

Dave C

Craigs list is a good place to get gear---i bought my wetsuit there 5x akona for 40.00---cresi fins for 20 and it was all local---i passed up a couple of real bargains in the drysuit department and went out and got a blackice--now i am waiting for its delivery

I use 30# for my neoprene drysuit (salt water dives) and I weigh 165 @ 5'11".

Your weight is what it is. Don't use too little just because you think it's too much.

Don't forget that the neoprene wrist seals should be folded back a bit too.

I use 30# for my neoprene drysuit (salt water dives) and I weigh 165 @ 5'11".

Your weight is what it is. Don't use too little just because you think it's too much.

Don't forget that the neoprene wrist seals should be folded back a bit too.

There's a large difference in buoyancy between a neoprene suit and a crushed neo suit like the CF200.

Guy

Did you burp the suit before you got in the water? Squat down open neck seal and let excess air out. If not,that would leave you with a large bubble. Lucky SOB:D enjoy your suit.

The undersuit is the warmer water 55-65 version, but not the new thinsulate.
Yep, I remembered to burp the suit, felt the squeeze right up to my waist, and then burped some more in the water.
There is another open pool day coming up, so I'll get more water time in to practice. I'm thinking I should be under 30 lbs in fresh water.
Yep, I'm pretty sure I'm very luck in this.
Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom