New (to me) Kayaks. How to store them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon Down

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday I picked up a couple kayaks. Native Manta Ray 14'.
attachment.php

My wife would like to be able to park in the garage again before the snow hits.

I am looking here Boat Storage Buyers' Guide - Paddling.net and leaning towards the Suspenz.

With this type of rack, will I need to be concerned with "oil canning" or any type of distortion? What if I dont use them for extended periods of time? (my wife thinks I have too many hobbies:D)

Attachments

• Kayaks.jpg
    Kayaks.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,375
Nice Kayaks!

I hang mine from the garage ceiling joist using bent over nails, nylon rope covered with rubber tubing. (Pad eyes or eyebolts would be better than bent over nails.) A wider strap saddle would be better than hose/nylon rope saddle. I lift one end into a fixed saddle. The other saddle rope is lose on one end with a few loops tied at different lengths in the rope. I lift kayak and attach a loop to the bent over nail (A large threaded screw hook would be better). I then tighten by lifting and pushing in fixed saddle and using the the loop that makes the rope tighter.

I found this from REI on storage.
Kayak Storage: Expert Advice from REI

I have two 16.5'+ kayaks. I keep them in my garage on the wall via storage racks from Suspenz.

Not to be an add for them, but they work nicely because they hold the kayaks on their sides to avoid misshaping them and because they are on the wall they are out of way.

Of course I had a wall in my garage long enough to allow for the kayaks and I was able to find the studs in the wall and not everybody will have that.

I can load and unload the kayaks by myself.

They were a bit of a pain to install because the hardware wasn't super great. I ended up using bigger screws than were provided to anchor them.

I've been told not like that(like they were gunna be ridden in).....Either 'upside down' or on it's side. I keep mine on it's side resting on an old piece of carpet in my garage along an outside wall---behind my golf cart & riding mower, lol......like:

20100907001.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom