New to rebreathers - what do you recommend based on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a rebreather & am looking for recommendations for my 1st unit.

I would use it almost exclusively for video/film work & my preference would be to buy used.
Smaller/easier to travel with would be best for my intended use.

Some more info about me (if it helps):
- Male
- 6'5" 200lbs (tall and slim-ish)
- Approx 150 dives, AOW & Rescue
- Based in Southern California but would use the rebreather around the world
- Trained VFR pilot so I consider myself fairly disciplined & structured

I've spoke to my local dive shops & buddies but would love to hear more opinions.
Thanks for your advice...

Other than flying weight nothing else narrows your choice at all

Do you want manual or electronic?
Deco/depth? or recreational depths?
backmounted CLs, over the shoulder or other?
flood tolerance concern?

Other than flying weight nothing else narrows your choice at all

Do you want manual or electronic?
Deco/depth? or recreational depths?
backmounted CLs, over the shoulder or other?
flood tolerance concern?

These are good questions, but apart from #2, they very hard to understand, let alone answer, by someone with no rebreather training. That's why I trained on a rental unit and only bought a CCR after Mod 1 certification. Before certification, you simply don't understand the implications of the various tradeoffs. Yes, it is more expensive (the rental fee is "wasted"), but I thought that it was worth it.

I would suggest that the OP see what people dive in his local community, spend some time talking to instructors that are accessible (geographically and financially), and if he is really committed to this project, do the training first. It's Southern California, so there should be lots of options. Plenty of people train on one unit but end up buying another one. All of us here will be happy to sing the praises of the unit that we dive, but maybe you aren't at that point yet....

To the OP - when you say that you are using it exclusively for video/film work, what do you mean? Is the only reason you are considering a rebreather to avoid bubbles? Are you not planning on very long or deep dives?

The travel around the world part does put some focus on what would be good. Revo comes to mind, fairly popular in SoCal. Travels well. The micro was designed to fit as a carry on.

I would recommend staying open circuit for a little more while doing your research. Get a few more classes out of the way. Mainly a Nitrox class and advanced Nitrox. You will need that theory behind you before you get into a rebreather. You will be dealing with a bottle of 100% O2 on every dive. Typically bundled with the advanced Nitrox is Deco procedures, which you will start using since you won't be gas limited as you are now on open circuit.

Also research your instructor. The instructor is more important than the agency issuing the card. This is not a part to skimp on.

If you have a chance to take any course before your actual MOD1, something like Advanced Recreational Trimix or Normoxic would be good to have. Not only will it give you a clearer head, but will decrease WOB and increase scrubber efficiency. You won't be using all that much diluent, so the cost of mix won't be much of an issue.

These are good questions, but apart from #2, they very hard to understand, let alone answer, by someone with no rebreather training. That's why I trained on a rental unit and only bought a CCR after Mod 1 certification. Before certification, you simply don't understand the implications of the various tradeoffs. Yes, it is more expensive (the rental fee is "wasted"), but I thought that it was worth it.

I would suggest that the OP see what people dive in his local community, spend some time talking to instructors that are accessible (geographically and financially), and if he is really committed to this project, do the training first. It's Southern California, so there should be lots of options. Plenty of people train on one unit but end up buying another one. All of us here will be happy to sing the praises of the unit that we dive, but maybe you aren't at that point yet....

To the OP - when you say that you are using it exclusively for video/film work, what do you mean? Is the only reason you are considering a rebreather to avoid bubbles? Are you not planning on very long or deep dives?

I agree with:
1) Renting a few units that are common locally
2) Not agonizing over rare or uncommon units, looking at his local used market should be fairly easy.

I would guess Kiss, Revo, Meg, JJ are likely the most common used units. Possible a few X or defenders around there.

I would guess Kiss, Revo, Meg, JJ are likely the most common used units. Possible a few X or defenders around there.

I'd disagree with that guess. LOL
Remember, there's more to the world than just your neck of the woods.

I agree with:
1) Renting a few units that are common locally
2) Not agonizing over rare or uncommon units, looking at his local used market should be fairly easy.

Yeah, that's a good point. Getting something relatively common means that you are going to have an easier time with parts and service, and that you will probably have support in the near future. Rebreathers are a tiny market.

I'd disagree with that guess. LOL
Remember, there's more to the world than just your neck of the woods.
Well what else is common in So Cal?

I misspoke somewhat. I was going off of his requirements, not everyone else's. He didn't say he was looking for a unit common to CA. He gave his parameters. One of the most crucial parameters in my opinion was that he preferred the used market. Megs, Revo, Optima's typically have the most depreciation, and as such create the best used market for the buyer, imo. If he's travelling the world, then CA doesn't really matter. This is the USA after-all and likely you can get any part you need overnight in a pinch, if not sooner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom